Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th Manchesters

ralphjd

Same book, different name John G Yuill after a bit of research I think this ex City player (kia 9-7-1916) was killed Trones Wood, just to be on the safe side can any pal confirm this. ? Ralph.

Jon. This is where I obtained my little bit of info from (extracted from Michael Stedmans book Manchester Pals) ? Thanks for taking the time to upload this. Grateful Ralph.

Ralph

1920s history of the battalion confirms they were in action at Trones on the 8th, in support of 2nd Wiltshires. B & C companies were relieved from Maltzhorn trench at 4.30am on the 9th. There had been a heavy bombardment at 4am. "A" company remained in the line "until the RSFs had captured Maltzhorn Farm. Book doesnt say where A Coy was at the time (it had earlier been at the Glatz Redoubt and may still have been there). One officer & 12 ORs killed.

John

Thanks John, within a small margin of error I think we can say that John Yuill was killed Trones Wood, wouldn't you say ? Ralph.

Certainly a very good bet, Ralph.

SDGW has all 12 of the KIAs listed as on the 9th, so I suspect this will be an "end of tour" return and soem were possibly killed on the 8th.

Ralph

The war diary lists casualties for 8th July - one officer and two men killed and one officer and twenty men wounded.

On the 9th it gives 10 men killed, 23 wounded and three missing.

CWGC gives two men and Capt Royle killed on the 8th and twelve on the 9th. I'd therefore suggest he was killed on the 9th but whether that was in the environs of Trones Wood is impossible to determine.

Kind regards

Colin

From the Manchester Evening News of Friday 21st July 1916;

A Northern Nomad

Sergeant J.G Yuill, age 31, son of Mr. and Mrs G.H Yuill, of Wardle Road, Sale, was killed in action on July 15th. A prominent Manchester amateur footballer, he was an old Manchester Grammar Schoolboy, and before the war was on the staff of Henry Blacklock and Co, Ltd, Albert Square. He came successfully through the fighting during the early part of this month, and was promoted Sergeant. He was Captain of the Northern Nomads Football Club, playing with them on their Continental and Scotch tours. He also assisted Manchester city, Oldham Athletic, and Chester.

In the same edition is an Obituary from his family stating he was killed on the 15th July.

There is also a photograph of Sergeant Yuill.

Regards.

Query re the date of death for John, if it was the 15th as Kingo has posted via the newspaper report would the 19th have still been in the Trones Wood area or possibly High Wood. I cannot find the dispositions of the 19th Manchesters on the date of the 15th. Any suggestions. ? Ralph.

On the 15th, the Battalion were in Saisseval, having arrived there by way of Corbie and Morlancourt. They were addressed by the GOC 30 Div and complimented on the way they had fought in the recent actions. Just an opinion, but i suspect the date of death is wrong and should read the 9th July as the report in the M.EN was dated only 6 days after his death, and Sgt Yuill was indeed killed in the actions at Trones Wood.

Regards.

Grateful thanks for the replies chaps, wonderful response. Kingo I am sure you are correct, 6 days is pretty quick to get a death into the paper, never happened with any of the soldiers I have researched for my book. Regards. Ralph.

• 9 months later...

Ralph

1920s history of the battalion confirms they were in action at Trones on the 8th, in support of 2nd Wiltshires. B & C companies were relieved from Maltzhorn trench at 4.30am on the 9th. There had been a heavy bombardment at 4am. "A" company remained in the line "until the RSFs had captured Maltzhorn Farm. Book doesnt say where A Coy was at the time (it had earlier been at the Glatz Redoubt and may still have been there). One officer & 12 ORs killed.

John

Ralph

John

Trones Wood ,High Wood,Deville Wood are associated with the most disastrous and costly actions of the Somme battle .Trones Wood was the first of these and the 30th Division was the first to attack it .The first attempt on 8th july by the 21st Brigade,2nd Wilts ,2nd Yorks 19th Manchester,s they were repulsed after 2 hours.Then the 21st brigade renewed there attempt attacking with the 2nd Wilts from the side of Bernafay Wood. About 3pm the 18th and 19th Manchesters came up in support , there was some very severe fighting .Towards the evening a detachment of the 17th Kings Liverpools came up to strengthen this attack, and it was then determined to withdraw the shatterd 21st,and replace with the 90th Brigade.Maltzhorn Trench was at once taken over by a party of 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers capturing 160 prisoners.