Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reading Medal Card

Kathleen6690

Hello, I am extremely new at all this and wanted some advice; currently reading a medal cardfor a Frank Summerscale, it notes in remarks 'Dis to Comm', and in correspondence states 'Extracted from B W + V'

Could anyone guide me to a good explanantion of Medal Cards, or explain it to me..?

I did look at the http://1914-1918.net/research/index.php/find-your-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/ and gathered he was discharged... but not sure..

Thanks.

Kathleen.

he was discharged to take up a commission, and apparently has an officers file at the National Archives under this reference WO 339/87327

The extracted from is a reference to the entry on the medal rolls for the West Yorks. (also held at the National Archives).

I'm sure you realise that this chap was clearly one of the original Leeds Pals.

Keith

In one of the appendices to the Leeds Pals book by Laurie Milner it rather looks as if three Summerscale's joined up together.

15/860 Pte Frank commissioned into the Yorkshire Tegiment

15/861 Pte Norman presumed dead 1/7/1916

15/862 Private Stanley presumed dead1/7/1916 There are photographs of Norman and Stanley in the book on page 167. It confirms that they were brothers.

Keith

Leeds Absent Voters shows:

Address code: 5068LN; Name: SUMMERSCALE ALEC; Number: DM2/151462; Rank: PTE; Unit: 113 SGE BTY R G A (ASC MT)
Address code: 5069LN; Name: SUMMERSCALE ARTHUR; Rank: LIEUT; Unit: A S C
Address code: 5070LN; Name: SUMMERSCALE FRANK; Unit: YORKS R
The address codes used to be reference-able back to streets, but I don't think the key PDFs are online any more. Consecutive codes tend to refer to one address.
Steve.

That fits with the census returns. There were five sons in the family. Two brothers were KIA by the time the AV list was compiled.. The other three all apparently served.

Keith

Wow, yes, this is a lot of information. I knew of the Leeds Pals part and more specifically about their younger brother during WW2.

I did discover they joined together and two died in the Somme it would seem, I am currently trying to find out what happened to Frank, later life etc.

Researching 'Brothers' who died/ survived/were wounde in WWI. Specifically looking at the Summerscales, Deans, and Pickles of Leeds.

That fits with the census returns. There were five sons in the family. Two brothers were KIA by the time the AV list was compiled.. The other three all apparently served.

Keith

I found four, Norman Arthur, Stanley James, Frank and Alec.

Do you know where I could find the fifth...?

Kathleen.

Grovel

I must have counted the nephew Ronald in my hasty look at the census returns. Four is correct.

Keith