Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th East Surreys

ralphjd

A friend of mine is writing (another) book on ex Man City footballers, one of whom was Alexander (Sandy) Turnbull killed in action 3rd May 1917 serving with the 8th East Surreys, commemorated on the Arras Memorial, to be slightly more specific as to where Sandy died, can any member place where the 8th were when he was killed? Ralph.

Jim. Wonderful, very pleased , looks like he was killed Cherisy along with some 400 other casualties ! Thanks. Ralph.

Quite a handy little resource Ralph, because not only does it have all of the Queen's RWS and ESR War Diaries but also those from their affiliated London Regiments too, 21st (1st Surrey Rifles), 22nd , 23rd (Queens) and 24th (Queens) Londons

Glad all sorted for you

Cheers Jim

Must agree with you there Jim, I always like to know where casualties were killed/died do not like the term F and F. :doh:

Definitely Ralph, the time and place is all important in helping us conjure these names from the past back into living breathing human beings. Funnily enough I was just watching WDYTYA on TV and Peter Barton had taken Chris Moyles to the exact field where his grandfather was killed during First Ypres, very emotional, and allowed Chris Moyles to see his grandfather as a living, breathing person.

Hope the research goes well

Jim

• 5 months later...

Hi Ralph

Did you/your friend manage to find any further info on Sandy Turnbull? I've been trying to narrow down exactly when he transferred to the 8/East Surreys from 23/Middlesex - probably late 1916. Typically, his records were among those destroyed during the Blitz...

Thanks

Iain

Hi I know 8th East Surreys had 408 men drafted to them on 2nd July 1916, the WD stating that the majority were Middlesex and Sussex Regiment men ... sadly Bns not listed, but Sussex men seemed to have been from 3rd and 14th mainly, so could have been from Middlesex Reserve Bns too and not 23rd

All the best

Jim

Hi Jim

Hi I know 8th East Surreys had 408 men drafted to them on 2nd July 1916, the WD stating that the majority were Middlesex and Sussex Regiment men ... sadly Bns not listed, but Sussex men seemed to have been from 3rd and 14th mainly, so could have been from Middlesex Reserve Bns too and not 23rd

All the best

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. I initially thought Turnbull may have been in the draft following the losses of 1st and 2nd July, but I haven't been able to find any clarification on that. I do know that Andrew Riddoch and John Kemp's book 'When the whistle blows' says he had transferred 'towards the end of 1916', however I'm not sure where that info came from.

Interestingly, I've just read (in When the Whistle Blows) that Turnbull wasn't allowed to play for the 23rd Middlesex against Birmingham City on Christmas Day 1915 due to his FA-imposed ban for match-fixing. That implies he enlisted in 1915 which has left me a little confused as his Middlesex Regimental number is listed as F/3001, while Paul Nixon's research on his great website reveals F/2779 joined on 3rd January 1916...

• 2 weeks later...

All the best

Jim

I've finally just got access to the 8th East Surrey diary and have seen the draft of 408 NCOs and men. It is logged on 14 July, stating that they were waiting for the battalion after it arrived at Grovetown Camp at 1900.

It goes on to say the draft were 'very shortly allotted to their respective companies, platoons and sections.' Still no definite confirmation that Turnbull was among them, but the book 'The Greater Game - Sporting icons who fell in the Great War' believes he was.

A friend of mine is writing (another) book on ex Man City footballers, one of whom was Alexander (Sandy) Turnbull killed in action 3rd May 1917 serving with the 8th East Surreys, commemorated on the Arras Memorial, to be slightly more specific as to where Sandy died, can any member place where the 8th were when he was killed? Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

I have the history of the East Surrey Regiment which contains an account of the action you are interested in. I could scan and attach or email if you wish.

Carole