Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry Photo 1918

Malc Knowles

This is a picture of my Grandfather Eric George Taylor . The one marked with an X (He did it !)

He joined up at the very end of the war on the 28th June 1918. His records are online but are not very informative. I believe he did go to France at some stage but I don't think he was involved in any fighting.

I hope this may be of use to others. Does anyone recognise anybody ?

Regards

Malc Knowles

post-102783-0-94456400-1383477531_thumb.

There is a faint suggestion of a Battalion on one or two of the service papers,2/5 KOYLI of the 62nd Division ?

Thank you for taking the time to look at this for me.

I did see that reference but couldnt work it out as I have not seen any references like that before ( I am a complete novice at this game )

Is there a record of what they were doing during the latter stages of the war ?

Thanks again

Malc

Malc

Now a bit clearer having had time to look at all pages.

Your subject started in 53 (Young Soldier) Battalion Training Reserve and then transferred to 51 Battalion,both in the UK. During 1918 he was posted to 5 Battalion KOYLI which was in France as part of 187 Brigade of 62 Division,here he got his KOYLI service number of 72220. He went into 1919 with this Battalion and,whilst still with the same Brigade/Division,transferred to 2/4 Battalion.

62 Division has a page in the Long Long Trail which will signpost what they did:

http://www.1914-1918.bet/62div.htm

Malc, I was going to answer when you first posted, but saw that Sotonmate was on the case and he is far more knowledgeable than I on this. I`m not sure when your grandad would have arrived in France if he joined up at the end of June, I`m guessing it would be at least a couple of months but am sure I will be corrected by one of the experts if I am wrong. But I thought you might be interested in the 5th KOYLI movements from August 1918. The 5th was an amalgamation of the 1/5th and 2/5th KOYLI which occured in early 1918 by the way.

19th August the 5th headed for Courcelles and relieved units of the 2nd Division.

24th August they moved to positions between Ervillers and Mory.

27th August they took part in an attack on Vraucourt and Vaulx-Vraucourt, their objective being a sugar factory and sunken road.

2nd September they were involved with an attack on a section of the Hindenburg line known as the Drocourt-Queant line.

11th September involved in the second battle for Havrincourt. Thats where my own grandad`s war ended when he was mustard gassed.

27th September they were involved with advances that were the breaking of the Hindenburg line,

Rest and refitting, then they moved to Fremicourt on the Bapaume-Cambrai road on 27th September.

First 6 days in October rest and refit at Flesqueries.

9th October moved to Masnieres and followed in wake of the advancing 3rd Army around Cambrai.

3rd November the 5th were sending out patrols to locate German forces, then involved in capturing the village of Orsinval where they took 200 prisoners.

11th November the word was received that hostilities were to cease.

Probably not a lot of help to you, I can send you a lot more detail about these events though if you wish.

Thanks Bikertom

Thanks very much for taking the time. I would be delighted with any information I can get if its not too much trouble to you.

Regards

Malc