Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cicely Mary Leigh Pope

Tonym

This lady has been resting in my pending file for a long time since I referred to her in a previous post headed “NURSE HODGES” in 2006

Name: POPE, CICELY MARY LEIGH
Initials: C M L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Voluntary Aid Detachment
Secondary Regiment: British Red Cross Society
Date of Death: 25/06/1921
Additional information: Daughter of Frances A. Pope, of 12A, Kensington Mansions, Earls Court, London, and the late Rev. W. A. Pope. Born at Redbourn, Herts.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 2.
Cemetery: CHELA KULA MILITARY CEMETERY, NISH

There is a brief reference to her in “Scarlet Finders” = ‘POPE Miss Cicely Mary LEIGH-POPE, Orderly Girton Newnham 27-Feb-17’, suggesting that she studied at Girton or Newham College, Cambridge.

It is also recorded that these colleges organised a Girton and Newnham Hospital Unit as part of the Scottish Women’s Hospital with a number of the graduates joining as doctors, nurses, orderlies, etc.

The colleges also raised £1000 to equip the hospital and this unit is said to have served in France and Serbia.

The fact that Cicely appears to have studied at Girton or Newnham College and is buried in Serbia would suggest to me that Cicely served in that unit but I can find no confirmation. Can anybody please assist?

Tony

Tony

The reference on the website is part of a list of members of the Scottish Women's Hospital taken from official lists, so there is no doubt at all that she served with the Girton Newnham Unit. I don't think that being part of that unit necessarily means that she was a student at the College. Particularly for those women joining later in the war as she did, most would have applied to the SWH and then been allocated to a unit as needed. Her medal index card shows her unit as 'French Red Cross' but that's because most SWH women are included on the French Red Cross medal BWM/VM roll.

Almost all members of Girton Newnham had returned home by the end of 1919, with a handful returning Jan/Feb 1920. Her date of death suggests that she had transferred to some other unit by that time.

Sue

post-416-0-33061300-1383479458_thumb.jpg

Almost all members of Girton Newnham had returned home by the end of 1919, with a handful returning Jan/Feb 1920. Her date of death suggests that she had transferred to some other unit by that time.

What were they still doing in Serbia in 1921, Sue?

Stephen

As far as I can see from the records they weren't there by that time. The last few have finishing dates in Feb/20, but the lists at the IWM are compiled around that date, so Cicely Legh-Pope is marked as 'still out' which must be after Feb/20. Her death record shows her as 'Voluntary Aid Detachment' and no other unit given, so I suspect she was perhaps attached to a British Red Cross unit. Someone with a bit more knowledge on the SWH may know exactly when the unit was disbanded. I'm sure the work being done was much the same as it had been before, but concentrated on giving medical aid to the civilian and refugee population.

Sue

Sue

I posted an acknowledgement to your post a couple of hours ago but perhaps I forgot to press the 'POST' button.

However basically I said I was confused the CWGC quote her as a Nursing Sister and SWH quote as an Orderly but I am sending an enquiry to BRCS to see what details they have on her. Will let you know.

Tony

Tony

As you know, Cicely Pope was the daughter of Frances A Pope and Rev William Alexander Pope, who was vicar at St Mary's Church, Redbourn, Herts.

She is not on the village war memorial, but her name is on the Roll of Honour of "parishioners of Redbourn who gave their lives for the country 1914-1918" on panelling at the back of the church.

I am researching everyone associated with Redbourn who served in WW1 & WW2. At the moment I am concentrating on the WW1 casualties, but have not yet carried out much research into Cicely.

I do know that two of her brothers served; Thomas Stephen Legh Pope, 10th Royal Fusiliers, and William Legh Pope in the Royal Navy.

I will let you know as and when I find out more, Gareth

• 1 month later...

After difficult research and a fortnight in hospital I have eventually put together what I consider Cecily's unusual war record.

CICELY MARY LEIGH POPE.Born December qtr 1889 and Baptised at Redbourn, Herts 8th January 1890, Daughter of Frances A. Pope, of 12A, Kensington Mansions, Earls Court, London, and the late Rev. W. A. Pope.

My research found a variation in Cicely’s status. She is described by Commonwealth War Graves as ‘’VAD Nursing Sister’, by British Red Cross as ‘Nurse’ and by Scottish War Hospital as ‘Orderly’ so whatever her status one has to assume that she was possibly involved in nursing duties.

She has two British Red Cross Record Cards one states Engaged January 1916 Terminated April 1916 service at Bricket House VAD Hospital, St. Albans and a further note – “Resigned to join Scottish Women’s Unit Serbia. The second Record Card states Engaged 27-2-17, Rank Orderly, Scot: Wom: Hos; Salonika

There is a brief reference to her in “Scarlet Finders” Website - ‘POPE Miss Cicely Mary LEGH-POPE, Orderly Girton Newnham 27-Feb-17’, suggesting that she joined a Hospital unit organised and financed by Girton and Newnham Colleges, Cambridge as part of the Scottish Women’s Hospital that served in France and Serbia.

However, it is recorded that the Girton/Newnham Unit, SWH had returned to the UK by the end of 1919 and I believe disbanded January/February 1920 with a few of its members returning to Serbia, no indication as to which hospitals or organisations they served with but Cicely was obviously one of them as she died on 25th June 1921 and is buried in Chela Kula Military Cemetery, Nis, Serbia, grave reference C.2.

If Cicely was, as described by CWGC a Nursing Sister, she would almost certainly have trained as a civilian nurse but I have, so far, been unable to confirm this. Tony Murphy, from various sources December 2013

Hope this is of interest

Tony

Tony

Thanks for this.

I discussed Cicely's story with a friend who has a great interest in the Salonika campaign, so will pass this on and see if he can suggest any other lines of enquiry.

Gareth

• 11 months later...

While I was updating my files for a Remembrance Sunday exhibition, I discovered a site I had not seen before - Scottish Women's Hospitals - and was very pleased to find a short pen picture of Cicely Pope from the diary of Emslie Hutton.

An excellent website with lots of information about the SWH's and many of the people who served with them.

Still looking for a photo of Cicely.

Gareth

Main site here - scottishwomenshospitals.co.uk

Biographies here - http://scottishwomenshospitals.co.uk/women/?a=P