Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fort George & Gollanfield

Khaki

Has anyone been to Fort George (near Inverness) and or Gollanfield Railway Station which I believe was an entraining point for I think the Seaforth's.

I believe that Fort George is open to the public (what are the Great War displays) and Gollanfield Stationfield is closed, are there any GW buildings left or anything to indicate the Great War importance??

thanks

khaki

Has anyone been to Fort St George (near Inverness) ...I believe that Forth St George is open to the public...

Do you mean Fort George? Never seen it linked to the Saint before...

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/propertyresults/propertyoverview.htm?PropID=pl_136&PropName=Fort%20George

• 1 month later...

Hi Ewen,

Do you have any idea why the station was called Gollanfield Junction? The reason I ask is that my great uncle who was killed in Flanders in 1918, was called Robert Watson Gollan Finlayson and none of us can figure out why that was the case. Never heard the name before. I am originally from Cromarty.

Thanks,

Hazel C.

Hazel

Not sure on the origins of the name.

Gollanfield is signposted as you drive between Inverness & Nairn on the A96 road. One of the turn offs to head down to Ft George.

Sorry I cannot be of more help on the origins.

Ewen

Hazel

Not sure on the origins of the name.

Gollanfield is signposted as you drive between Inverness & Nairn on the A96 road. One of the turn offs to head down to Ft George.

Sorry I cannot be of more help on the origins.

Ewen

Thanks Ewen. At least now I know the area and will see what I can find when I go home in a couple of months.

Hazel