Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Execution post etc at Poperinge

Mark Hone

After (and probably because of) my rather disheartening recce visit to the 'new' Toc H last month, I forgot to look in at the town hall to see the current state of the firing post and environs. Would anyone be kind enough to give me an update?

Guest Russell.Gore@crawley.gov.uk

Hi Mark,i was in Pop on Mon and Tues of last week,i stuck my head into the Cells but could see nothing as all the lights were blown,plus the post has been moved again,also i found that the info blurb alongside the post gives a very misleading interpretation to members of the Public who are not clued up on this matter.Mark did you used to travel with Alec Bulloch and co,as i seem to recognise your name,and if my memory serves me ,you were a teacher ?.All the Best Russell. :D

There is a lot of discussion on this topic.

Some who did some studies on the post + the cells discovered the following:

-The cells are NOT "the cells" of WW1. The old WW1 cells were located were toilets are now (or did it changed too?). The cells now were cells for local drunks post WW1...

- The "excecution post" is just an symbolic post. It is bought in the '50's of a hop farmer. The WW1 excecution post was not round, but more like a layer (i don't know if this is the correct english) where railway tracks are layed on.

No problem with what they show now. It gives a good impression. But a lot of people think it is all 100% exact + historic.

greets,

K

Thanks for information,the word you are looking for is SLEEPER.I did not know these facts about the cells,surely this is misleading a lot of people who actually believe that they are seeing the real thing ????. :angry:

I have never been able to work that one out myself,as i cannot read flemish,some of the Sketches/photos have a distinctly WW2/1950 look about them especially the bloke wearing an Aussie pattern Bush Hat !!...any ideas on this ??.The whole set up there is a tad strange to say the least.

Mark.

Here's the post you mention last week. All very symbolic (and pretty effective to be honest). It's allegedly the post used in May 1919 for the execution of Coolie Wang Ch'un Ch'ih of the CLC, who was executed for murder. As Kristof mentions, I'm sceptical, but I'm also sceptical of the story of it's finding in the 1950's, and to be honest, I'm unsure that this post is even the same one that was displayed behind plastic a few years ago!

As I said though, it's a pretty effective monument nonetheless and worth a look. Make up your own mind.

Dave.

post-12-1096152941.jpg

Russ

Unashamedly it was the similarity to the Slouch Hat, that 1st drew my attention. But the wearer was such a baby-faced kid that you'd wonder how he was let out on his own in the first place.

Somewhere else in Belgium, I saw a photo of a Belgian uniform with a vaguely similar hat. So maybe that's a clue, even if no-one has the definitive answer.

Pat

There is a lot of discussion on this topic.

Some who did some studies on the post + the cells discovered the following:

-The cells are NOT "the cells" of WW1. The old WW1 cells were located were toilets are now (or did it changed too?). The cells now were cells for local drunks post WW1...

- The "excecution post" is just an symbolic post. It is bought in the '50's of a hop farmer. The WW1 excecution post was not round, but more like a layer (i don't know if this is the correct english) where railway tracks are layed on.

No problem with what they show now. It gives a good impression. But a lot of people think it is all 100% exact + historic.

greets,

K

Kristof,

Thanks for that info'.................I have been taken in by what I have seen on tv!!!

I thought they were the cells used, and I was led to believe that the post was used in at least one execution (as well as seeing that stated on tv I am sure I have read that somewhere to!)

As I have mentioned on the forum before, I first saw the post in the town archives about 15 years ago. The archivist at the time said that he didn't believe the post was genuine.

Russel-I am indeed the same man who used to travel with Alec Bulloch and his then oppo Ian Alexander. I used to go with my Dad Jack, a Burma Campaign veteran who died three weeks ago. It was partly from my experience of doing a bit of guiding on Alec's tours that I decided to start leading school parties. We celebarate our tenth anniversary tour this October. Two years ago I was coming out of Tyne Cot on our tour when I was told by a colleague that a lady from another coach party had praised the behaviour of our pupils. I went to thank her and found that she was on Alec's tour. I was very touched indeed, and said a few words over the mike on Alec's coach, thanking him for his help in the past.

The thing of the post being bought in the '50's of a hop farmer come from someone who worked a few years ago in the Poperinge archives... I can not mention the name, as he wants to remain unknown. But a few clever guys ade a hole article about it. It was very offensive for the peace project Ypres and Poperinge are making. A delicate thing... <_< . unfortunaly the text was only published in Dutch.

About the cells there are a lot of people who live in Poperinge who confirm that the cells were used only postwartime and for local drunks. To sleep 1 night untill they were sober. The drawings are from those guys... :(