Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Composition of an RGA Heavy Battery

Stephen Nulty

Strange but obviously worthy of note. Wonder if there's any records in 23 HB diary which may shed some light. Dateline 25 Jan 1917.

Alan.

• 1 month later...

I have now found the story behind the 6 limber gunners mentioned above.

125 HB went on rest on 12 Jan 1917. Expecting a months rest they were soon told this had been cut to two weeks. They were to take over the guns of 23 HB at Bazentin.

The personal diary entry for 25 Jan 1917 reads "6 limber gunners came back from rest to take over 23 HB"

The entry for 27 Jan 1917 reads "Battery came back from rest"

It now seems obvious to me that the 6 limber gunners went ahead of the main battery to, presumably, service, maintain or assess the gun's condition prior to the arival of the rest of the men.

Regards to all and a nod to rflory for pointing me in the right direction.

Alan.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this on the forum;

Ron, just read this post. my grandfather was a sergeant 116 heavy battery RGA from 27/9/14. Could you advise me how i can find the battle diaries for this battery

regards Graham

Hi Grasam and welcome to the forum.

The War Diary for 116 Heavy Battery is contained in the document box WO95/478 at The National Archives. It looks like the only surviving element covers 1915 and 1916 only. Your GF may well have served in other RGA Batteries throughout the war - do you have his service record?

• 6 months later...

yes I have sgt Frederick walter George service record but it does not contain any dtail from the 1ww dates. posted to 5 bty 26.8.14 which changed to 116 hy btry 27.9.14. how do I find what and where he was

regards graham

Regarding the photo on post #23 and dating it being taken. Is the style of hat not pre1916 being quite stiff whereas post 1916 they all went a bit limp (for want of a better expression)?

Hi Seany,

The photo was actually taken between 7th April and 6th May 1916 and the hat was practically brand new. Sorry, can't be anymore accurate than that!

The back of the photo/postcard shows "Dinsdale Studios, 157 King Street, Gt. Yarmouth." There is a web site about early photography which indicates that the studio was owned by Arthur Dinsdale and that in King Street there were numerous photographic studios at that time. King Street was to photography what Harley Street is to doctors!

My great-gandfather in the picture enlisted 04/04/16 and was only in Gt. Yarmouth between the dates above and in France by 19 May 1916 with his Battery, 3 weeks after the Battery had first arrived in France.

Whilst most men in the Battery had been training at home for the previous 12 months, his short training period was due to his 4 years service in No. 7 Coy. Hants RGA TF between 1908 and 1912 based in Southampton.

Regards

Alan.