Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 11 Squadron RFC

Perth Digger

Does anyone have access to the war diary (or history) of 11 Squadron for September 1916, please?

Thanks

Mike

Hello Mike.

Details of 11 Squadron to be found in PRO/NA Files ;

11 Squadron. Formed Feb. 1915. Disbanded Dec. 1919. Re-formed Feb. 1923.

Operations Record Book ; 1914 - 1943. Air 27 / 157.

Appendices ; Nov. 1914 - Nov. 1940. Air 27 / 161.

These files are not `on-line' so a visit to PRO would be necessitated.

Best o Luck.

Sadsac

The National Archive reference is AIR1/2010/204/305/1 onwards to AIR1/2011/204/305/23 Nearly all the records are to do with the period 1917-19. If you try and fined who the squadron were under the command of i.e. Wing etc you might find out some information from their records?

john-g

I've a few 'Combats in the Air' report scans for 11 Squadron, mainly 1916 but I'm not sure if I've Sept. I'll have a look. (From what I can recall they were mainly claims by Ball).

I'd be grateful if you would check, please, especially for Hollingsworth (pilot) and Wells (observer).

Thanks

Mike

• 1 year later...

I'm researching an Observer with 11 Sqn RFC between 11 June and 17 September 1917.

I've been able to download some records from NA (incl. the history in the appendices, and combat reports) but not papers all have been digitised. Does anyone have copies/photographs of records of personnel or other miscellaneous field returns?

Observer's name is Eric Rupert Dibbs.

CITAR or other mentions of these incidents would be of interest too -

12/07/1917 Observer with Lt. Mauduit; Albatros D.V (OOC) above Pelves, 2015

20/07/1917 Observer with Lt. Mauduit; Albatros D.V (OOC) above Novelles, 1845

Many thanks.

Hi Mate,

I have this mention of Dibbs in Bristol Fighter material I once shared with the great, and much-missed, Ray Sturtivant:

A7145 At AAP Filton 4.6.17, allotted to EF; England to ARS 1 AD 7.6.17; ARS 2 AD 8.6.17; 11 Sqn 23.6.17; On OP FL nr aerodrome due to engine failure 7.7.17 (Lt RFS Mauduit & Lt ER Dibbs)

I've always found the material about 11 Sqn somewhat elusive, especially the earlier stuff. Regarding their parent units, between March 1916 and November 1918 they served in 13th (Army) Wing of III Brigade RFC/RAF. John's right to suggest this is the way forward for further possible material, if you haven't looked already. Standing Orders and suchlike.

I see Dibbs was an Australian - no doubt one reason you're researching him.

Best Regards,

Trevor

Thanks Trevor, I'll look at 13th Wing.

Cheers for the comment on our Flickr. Some of those then-and-nows are being redone in higher resolution for an exhibition. Plus a couple of new photos to be added. I'll post here when I have more details.

• 5 years later...

Hi I'm researching my grandfather Flight Commander ITLloyd and would like to know if

this thread is still open thank you. The first question is I know he joined 11 Squadron Reserve in 1916 from No2 squadron.

Edited by Guest
Aditional question

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

I assume we are talking about Ivor Thomas Lloyd?  There is a fair amount one can find out about him online and I really suggest that you start a new thread with his name included in the heading as you might otherwise hijack this one!  Particularly as the 11 Squadron in question was 11 Reserve Squadron which was based in the UK and a very different animal to 11 Squadron proper (the subject of this thread) and so off-topic...

Very briefly, he started in the RFC as an Observer in 1914 with 2 Squadron and went back to the UK in July 1915, having taken his "ticket" as a pilot in France.   Have a look at his Casualty Form (which is really a sort of movement record) at https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/14127

and then look him up under "L" in http://www.airhistory.org.uk/rfc/people_index.html

where the information above is duplicated.  Beware that you will have to disentangle the dates as they are not listed in sequence.  He ended the war as a Major. 

That should keep you busy for a bit.

Cheers

Piers

Oh, and there's quite a detailed biography of Air Commodore Lloyd at http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/LloydI.htm 

if you just Google him

Edited by pierssc

Hi all,

I do have a copy of the AIR 1 folder which has the 11 Squadron History. Just send me a message with your email address. Of course it covers a lot more than Sept 1916.

Best,

Adam 

• 3 years later...

My grandfather sgt William Turton was in 11 squadron as a fitter and would love to find out any more...he was awarded the military medal but i dont know when or why. i have got a copy somewhere of his name in the paper and i believe it may have ben foe rearming and refueling aircraft under any fire but thats all i know...any help would be appreciated.

The 11 May 1917 supplement to the Gazette records the awarding of the Military Medal to a Cpl W Turton, service number 4151, of the RFC, but there are no details of why he was awarded it. His name simply appears in an alphabetical list of recipients of the medal.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30064/supplement/4600

The 1 April 1918 RAF muster roll shows this same man with the rank of Sergeant Mechanic, and having the trade of fitter so it looks like he is your grandfather from the information provided in your post. He was promoted to his then current rank on 1 November 1917, having joined the RFC on 14 March 1915.

https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/turton-w

Edited by Tawhiri