Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

284th Siege Bty, Royal Garrison Artillery October 9th 1918

johnhes

I am trying to find out about the action engaged by the 284th Siege Bty, Royal Garrison Artillery in France on October 9th 1918. My grandfather, Lieutenant William Wasney Heseltine was gassed on that day and died 11 days later, I believe in Lille. I have visited his grave at St Sever cemetery Rouen but have been unable to find out anything concerning the circumstances of his death. It may have been at the second siege of Cambrai which ended Oct 10 1918. Any help would be much appreciated as I am planning a visit to the area to photograph whatever the place looks like nearly a century on.

Welcome Johnhes,

284 SB were during October 1918 under 83 Brigade, IX Corps, and on the 9 Oct were in support of operations by 6th Division and 46th Division for the capture of Fresnoy Le Grand and occupation of Bohain. 284 were reconnoitring new positions and pushing their 6in Hows forward on the night of the 8/9, coming into action on the Southern outskirts of Montbrehan.

Their previous known gun positions since the 3 Oct were H14c.8.1 and H14d.5.5. Brigade HQ was at G29a.9.4 near La Barague. No casualties are shown for 284 for that day (9th). Overall for the month 2 Officers wounded and 18 ORs wounded and 2 ORs killed in the battery are recorded in total. Both Officers are clearly named (one gassed) but for different days. There are no circumstances just casualty figures, and unfortunately I can find no mention of your man, sorry.

Rgds Paul

In continuing my research into the fate of my grandfather (many thanks Paul) I am now looking at Montbrehain as the possible location of his wounding and wonder if anyone knows whether mustard gas was used here in early October 1918. Also, was it usual for someone wounded here to end up in a Rouen cemetery as it is quite far west of this area. It might be the date of his wounding is slightly wrong but it does seem that his death from the gas is correct, 20th October 1918. Any info would be very much appreciated.

From the book 'The History of the 135th Siege Battery RGA', who were in the same Brigade during 1918.

“284 SB a bty of 6in Hows were very unlucky. Their Officers quarters were smashed in one night by a gas shell, and unfortunately ALL the Officers were so near as to become casualties.”

This refers to the night 30/31 August and it caused a change of Officers to 135, their Captain leaving to take command of 284.

Should be worth getting the book as the movements of 135 mirror that of your Bty of interest; 284 are frequently mentioned.

Paul

PS Mustard Gas was used in 1917.

• 3 years later...

After a long gap I am still trying to find out more about Montbrehain where it seems my grandfather was fatally injured. I am very grateful to 'orokep' for his very useful contribution but wonder if any further information might be available concerning the movements of the 284th Siege Battery, probably at the battle of Montbrehain. It does seem that Lieutenant Heseltine was gassed during the second week of October 1918, he certainly died of his injuries on October 20th. I have visited the area and taken many photographs of what there is/is not there now but am no closer to an idea of what happened to him. Any contributions are most welcome. John

After a long gap I am still trying to find out more about Montbrehain where it seems my grandfather was fatally injured. I am very grateful to 'orokep' for his very useful contribution but wonder if any further information might be available concerning the movements of the 284th Siege Battery, probably at the battle of Montbrehain. It does seem that Lieutenant Heseltine was gassed during the second week of October 1918, he certainly died of his injuries on October 20th. I have visited the area and taken many photographs of what there is/is not there now but am no closer to an idea of what happened to him. Any contributions are most welcome. John

Hi Paul, yes, I moved house ! Thank you very much indeed for this, I have ordered the book 'The History of the 135th Siege Battery RGA', I plan to return to Picardy in September and want to try and progress more before I go. Many thanks again for your time, best wishes, John