Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

does anybody have any info on 2nd batt south lancs 1914 trio

gabbygabby40

Hi ,can anyone tell me about

7577 pte F.jones 2/south lancs reg please..many thanks Tony

No hits on the detail you post,can you confirm and expand a bit more ? Another first name perhaps with F the second one ? Maybe it's a gremlin,but no 7577 for any F Jones in any Regt .

i certainly possess 1914 trio service no.7577 pte f.jones 2/south lancs reg.....also belgium medal with it...i have even got a photo of the man in uniform.nothing else to go on thx sjt f.jones on his silver bwm

I have heard that sometimes a Medal Index Card is not found and may be missing etc. I had presumed that you have the Trio !

There are four JONES with an F from the South Lancs,none have 7577,one has 7876 and also 2 Battalion but is an AFP Jones !

Worth a search on the NA database in case the record is there. I know that their records are info from the MICs too but every now and then that is where it's found !

Edit: took my own advice and there it is,but you need to pay for it. He was also Machine Gun Corps Sergeant 5907.

many thx.....i assume he survived...as i have some other stuff related to possibly the same man...i have been driving myself wild looking on forces war records and just paid my money :) i thought maybe you could find place of birth etc... because i think he came from a place called LANGWITH ...as i have an earl haig poppy day poster too and his ww1 peace mug saying Newton in Makerfield..do we know anything else as he was a very handsome chap :) thx again

found him via forces records...got to be him lists his croix de guerre...awesome :) would like to know how he came by this award though :)

It's always good to tell the facts of your story in your first entry ! You never know what will trigger a response and how far that might take you here.

sorry :( im new to this ....and if can say a little too excited...as ive collected a lot of medals in my time but hadnt done any research..so ive a fair few to go through ...my grandad was at dunkirk, my other grandad was at torbruk,so at the moment im like a kid in a sweetshop :) and i want to thank you for your help..Tony

2 Battalion South Lancs War Diary from first arrival in France in Aug 1914 is at the National Archives under ref WO95/1414. This will give a daily story of activity up to when he left at the end of 1915. There will be another Diary for his MGC unit,which you will need to find out about if you want to read about it's actions too. These Diaries are not yet digital I believe,so a visit to Kew or maybe someone here has something to help.

You may get an indication in one or the other about his Croix-de-Guerre.

On the 1914 Star Medal Rolls for SLR, he is listed as 7757 with a note that he transferred to MGC as 5907 on 01/01/1916.

I would put his enlistment date as November 1904

thx everyone.....cheers prescott guy,awesome website..a lot of work,sadly my friend had one for my local area of blackpool cleveleys and fleetwood died....and with him went the site :( yours Tony

Thanks Tony.

I have made arrangements :)

• 1 month later...

I have transcribed 2 South Lancs war diaries from 4 August to 14 October 1914, when they became entrenched. I'm very pleased to attach the document here and hope it helps. They were in battle or marching, or both, continuously for about 4 weeks and took very heavy casualties.

They were part of the battle of Le Cateau which forced the Germans to abandon the Schlieffen Plan (to encircle Paris) and it could be said that the war was lost by the Germans at that point. Smith-Dorrien was a great general and French (who wasn't) later hung him out to dry.

I stopped transcribing because my grandfather G Saunders 8849 had been severely wounded in the Battle of the Aisne in late September.

He was invalided out in April 1915 and suffered from his wounds all his life. He died in 1968 and the results of the wounds are shown as a secondary cause of death. I knew he had a tough war but I never knew that he was a regular and an Old Contemptible.

He joined in March 1918 aged 17 when 2SL were recruiting 'in London' being stationed at Tidworth. I always wondered how a lad from a Kent village ended up in 2SL.

PS I've plotted the movements on a series of maps. I'll upload them next weekend.

annotateddiary.doc

An interesting read, thanks for posting it

• 3 months later...

Clinxx

I am very new to this, not used to this site yet, I do hope its okay to download your war diary. this fills in my missing pieces. I have the following information from my grandfathers service records from Glasgow, he was David James Game No. 7499

he with the 1st Battalion South Lancs 1904-1913 [7 years in India] 1914 he was with the 2nd Battalion South Lancs, 1915 to 1920 he was with BEF 6th Battalion South Lancs, he the joined the East Lancs 1923-1927 [think this was re-enlisting for a bounty] as he entered as a Private.

He was in France with the BEF 12/9/14 to 16/11/1914 wounded on the 13/11/14 B103 [not sure what B103 means], sent home 17/11/14, it is actually his 2 months in France I wish to follow up to the day he was wounded, we will be at Ypres and the Somme in 4 weeks time. I believe he may have been wounded at the Battle of Nonne Bosschen.

He then went to Gallipoli, then on to Mesopotamia.
On the 26/7/15 BEF 6th Battalion to Gallipoli to 15/2/16, this when his promotion to sergeant took place
then 16/2/16 to 14/2/19 to Mesopotamia.
I would be really interested in any maps you may have .
Regards Pat Evans

Here's the diary for 12/13th November 1914......

2SLR_Nov1914.png

Hi Pat,

B103 is the name of an army firm - Active Service Casualty Form - in your context it is just a note confirming the information recorded came from the B103.

I presume you have obtained his service record firm MOD as he served post 1921?

Regards

Steve Y

You may want to remove your email to stop any spam.

• 3 months later...
Guest DEB1942

Hi, this my first time on this forum, I would just like to add that if you come up with any information for a relative in the 2nd South Lancs you can contact the South Lancs Museum, they have a lot of records and files on the Regiment but are missing a lot also. I was researching my Grandfather Isaac Thomas Pritchard, he was in the Regiment for over 24 years and they had no record of him, I have had to supply them with copies of discharge papers, he was one of the first recipient's of the 'Medaille Militaire' and the 'Mons Star'. I had to supply the Regiment Museum with copies of his award and a photograph of him wearing the Medal Militaire. All of his medals are being donated to the Regimental Museum.

His unit went to France as part of the BEF 2 weeks after war was declared. He was in all the major action until his discharge in July 1917, my Grandmother died and left him with 6 children, he died on Christmas Day in 1925, I am not sure if it was a result of Gas from the war.

Regards

David B