Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bar on a Victory Medal

Frajohn

Hi

Hopefully someone will be able to help with this.

I have an image of a Victory medal with a bar, I cannot read what it says on the bar, part from the last digits would appear to read 1914, however only 50% sure of that.

I have never seen a bar on a Victory medal and wonder what this one might be.

The scan below is the best I can get, the original is not very clear.

Many thanks for any assistance

Kind regards

John

10559860114_a2f1738475_o.jpg

It is the "date bar" (5th Aug to 22nd Nov 1914) which should be sew on to the ribbon of the 1914 Star. It basically indicates that a recipient of the 1914 Star (also known as the Mons Star) came under fire.

See here
http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/themedals.htm

Sepoy

NB The only emblem that was worn on the (British issue) Victory Medals was a Mention in Despatches Oak leaf.

original bars are selling around £50 so could be worth more than the medal - crazy but true

original bars are selling around £50 so could be worth more than the medal - crazy but true

Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell from the above scan whether it is an original date bar or a "Tailor's copy". Original bars are rare because they were simply sewn on to the medal ribbon and fell off very easily.

Sepoy

Many years ago the IWM had on display the prototypes for the bars to be issued with the British Great War medals , this included the naval and army issues , I recall a comment at the time that IF they had been issued can you imagine the work confirming the bars to each recipient ,and can you also imagine the difference in values to the groups today!

Many years ago the IWM had on display the prototypes for the bars to be issued with the British Great War medals , this included the naval and army issues , I recall a comment at the time that IF they had been issued can you imagine the work confirming the bars to each recipient ,and can you also imagine the difference in values to the groups today!

As happened with the Queen's South Africa.

The Victory Medal displayed by John is a British/British Empire issue Victory Medal and as I stated the only emblem worn on British issue Victory Medals was the Mention in Despatch Oak leaf.

Other Countries did use emblems on their Victory Medals including the USA and Portugal.

Battle/Service Bars were mooted for the British War Medal and the Admiralty went as far as producing a list, but the cost was too prohibitive. Private purchase miniature British War Medals are occasionally seen with miniature versions of the Naval bars. If the full sized bars had been issued it would have made collecting WW1 medals really interesting and probably very expensive (more than now). When I have more time, I will add the list.

The only bar issued by the British was the so called "under fire" bar ("5th Aug to 22nd Nov, 1914") to be worn with the 1914 Star. The term "under fire" related to being within range of Artillery.

The cut off date of 22nd November, 1914 marked the end of the 1st Battles of Ypres.

Sepoy

sorry, to clarify, I was answering the post made before me, which said about US Victory medals. British medals did not as you said.

regards

Robert