Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recognise this artillery piece ?

markus

I have this photo taken during the first quarter of the 20th C, of my grandfather seated on a fairly chunky piece of hardware. Does anyone amongst you recognise the model / type ?

I'm not sure when the photo was actually taken, nor the location of the gun. It's a query further compounded by the fact that my grandfather served with the RASC on the Western Front from 1917 to 1919, remaining in service until 1923. Then, after a period of a year as a 'civie', he re-enlisted with the Royal Engineers from 1924 until 1941. With the regimental cap badges of these two regiments appearing relatively similar from a distance, and with the quality of my photo somewhat lacking the necessary degree of clarity to determine whether they're RASC or RE, any aid in determining when and where this shot was taken would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.post-92325-0-38218900-1382931348_thumb.j

Looks like one of the Turkish naval guns on the Dardanelles, Turkey, so could have been part of the occupying force after the war

Hello RobL.

Excellent, thanks for that. I did wonder if it could be somewhere from that part of the world due to the terrain in the background, looks a bit scorched and somewhat arid. In addition, your reply certainly fits the pattern as my grandfather was stationed in Turkey from mid 1919 onwards, somewhere around Chanak amongst other places.

As a further point, would you happen to know any details relating to the gun, was made by the Turks or of German manufacture, a Krupp maybe ?

Thanks again.

It's a pretty old gun for even for WW1 how ever howitzers like this were common (even if usually more modern) in coastal forts as they could drop shells on to the less or even unarmored decks of otherwise well protected warships The Turks did use various howitzers of different calibres against the minesweepers. I believe all the guns used were bought in from a number of sources

Looks more like a UK coastal fort, there are many here in Wales where similar sized pieces can still be found gently rotting away

post-15439-0-25325600-1382982043_thumb.jpost-15439-0-54172600-1382982097_thumb.j

Looks bang on for the Turkish Dardanelles forts I've been to...

I'm not sure if my grandfather was ever stationed in Wales or visited there in some form of military service, but he was certainly in Turkey for the term of around a year. Really wish the old fellow was still around to ask. Unfortunately I was a bit too young to take onboard much of the finite details of his military career. Interesting posts though, and Jay, amazing photos of the old battery. Did you take them ? If so, could you let me know the location/grid ref ? I'd very much like to go and visit, providing it's accessable to the public.

Thank you all for your comments, very interesting.