Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HAMT 403rd MT Coy

grahamwilkinson

My relative went to France on 31/5/1917 with the ASC, according to his medal roll entry he served with the HAMT, 403rd MT Coy, then att to 318 siege bty. At some point before its disbandment in Feb 1918 he was transfered to the 17th Bn, Welsh R.

Can anyone tell me where the 403rd MT Coy and 318 siege bty were around the time my relative was with them.

Thanks

Graham.

Graham

The 318th Siege Battery Ammunition Column (the ASC element of the battery), under 2Lt R G Moss, joined 403rd MT Coy ASC on 6/6/17. They were at Idem. 403rd Coy was a Corps Siege Park - these were, I believe, organizations in which the ammunition columns of different siege batteries could be managed whilst those batteries were attached to a specific corps. During major battles such a 'company' could contain 2500 men! The ammunition columns shuttled shells from the corps ammunition dump to the battery location.

318th SBAC seemed to leave the company in early July.

If you can let me know his name I'll see if he's mentioned; chances are he won't though. I was researching a soldier who started with this company but who was combed out to join the infantry.

Kind regards

Colin

Hello Colin thats what happened to my relative Pte M/274040 Arthur Edward Eyre. He was transfered to the 17th Bn, Welsh R. Before enlisting he worked as a chauffeur, so destined to be a driver of some sort!

Big thank you for the information and offer of help

Graham.