The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Drake Battalion Strength

grahamwilkinson

Is there anywhere I can find out what the strength of Drake Battalion was around the beginning of 1918 ?

Thanks

Graham.

The War Diary often has a Unit strength at month's end. WO95/3114/1 is the NA reference.

The RND as a whole was well below strength in January 1918 because of the fighting that had taken place on Welsh Ridge in late December 1917. DRAKE battalion recorded casualties of 11 officers and 255 ORs. This equates, approximately, to one third of officers and a quarter of ORs.

Dear Graham

I noted with great interest your post regarding RND, Drake Battalion. I am probably teaching you 'to suck eggs' but presume you have consulted the oracle, The Royal Naval Division by Douglas Jerrold. A book written just after WW1 and very detailed. I am running a thread (about three down from this posting) at the moment regarding The Countess of Pembroke's Hospital, Wilton House. My father was Sub Lt Sidney Walker of Drake Battalion, he was badly injured at the Canal du Nord in 1918 and I have followed his war exploits with great interest. By the way, I am not in my eighties, he was 59 when I was born in 1956.

I would be very pleased to know why you have a special interest in Drake as I have photos of the CO Commander Beak and his officers taken after The Battle of Arras 1918 and before with many more men in a photo at Rubempre. I also have a photo of my father with his petrol.

You may notice my online name!

Kind regards

Oppy