Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Bn Northumberland Fusiliers (3rd Tyneside Scottish)

Archie1

I have recently acquired the Victory Medal to a Serjeant WA Willings in the above unit. His number is 360112 which is what I'd expect for a Territorial Force unit post 1917,however he seems to have transferred to the York & Lancaster Regiment (don't know which battalion) but the MIC now states he is a Private! ( his number now is 52727) If maybe he went from a TF battalion to a regular battalion would he have lost his stripes?

He must have stayed in the army as he is also noted as having the number 4736660 presumably from the 1920 re organising of numbers & also was awarded the General Service Medal with a bar for Iraq (1920). The only battalion of the Yorks & Lancs in this campaign was the 2nd Bn so I know where he finished. The only other medal he received was the British War Medal.

Would appreciate thoughts on his demotion please & any other observations you may have!

many Thanks.

Hi,

Can't answer your query other than to say that from his service number he was not original Tyneside Scottish enlistment.

With 1920 Iraq GSM he may have seeved post 1921. If so his service papers may still be with MOD and accessible on payment of £30 fee.

Steve Y

Thanks Steve. His number must be post 1/1/17 I thought, unfortunately his MIC doesn't state the date he entered theatre.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark