Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Cap badges

DCLI

Dear experts

A couple of recent purchases. I din't pay much for them so if they are copies, restrikes or whatever I don't mind too much, although obviously genuine is best

regards

Anthony

post-23-1096102476.jpg

The Yorks & Lancs looks AOK,Personally the Hampshires is one I would leave on the Stall,it looks badly finished & Badges tended to be quality controlled quite rigourously,though that said the slider & brazing look OK,it just doesnt "do it".IMO;

Cheers Roger.

I shouldn't entirely dismiss the Hampshire Reg't as a restrike, since most of these come from the sharpest, newest surplus dies that can be found, and most of these are nineteen-forties vintage. By that time, the rectangular (sometimes round) openings on the back of yr badge (designed to allow the heat and gases generated during 'sweat brazing' to escape) were not commonly seen on badges, as the layers were attached using an electric welding process. Please see the attached photograph of a better-quality restrike from forties dies.

post-23-1096126947.jpg

I'm with Roger on this one; the Yorks & Lancs badge looks right. If you've handled a few badges, you notice the right sort of metal (Gilding metal, not just brass - something to do with the percentagees of alloys used, more copper, i think) and perhaps more importantly, the thickness. Genuine pieces seem to be stamped from thicker material than latter-day copies.

The Hampshires badge makes me wonder. It seems extremely clean and sharp; most of these things have been kept in an old tin with a few other bits and pieces for decades, and should have suffered a little as a consequence. But then.....

Nice to see the first picture of your quest showing the reverse of the badges, probably more important than the faces.

Graeme

Thanks for that.

I am learning - I noticed an earlier posting about badges and the experts requested pics of the back.

The pics of the fronts are elsewhere on the forum.

Regards

Anthony

Anthony,

Any chance of scanning the badge faces as well?

Ian

Hes done that on another post. :rolleyes: