Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'BM?' cuff band

IRC Kevin

Can anyone please tell me what the cuff band is that the man in the photo below is wearing? (Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to show the complete photo) The unit is the 4th Battalion of the King's Own, a TF infantry Battalion and the date is unknown, but probably between 1910- early 1914. It looks as if there may be a third letter after the 'M'. The man wearing it made Sgt before his time in the TF expired on an unknown date prior to August 14 and he re-enlisted Sept 14 and was certainly with the Battalion QM department in December 14, going to France May 15 as a Private and rising to RQMS during the war.

Bmcrop_zps72e0b12d.jpg

Battalion Military Police?

I wondered that, but it's not a term I've heard used in any battalion sources- they always use 'Regimental Police'. I'm also wondering if the letters are brass rather than a cloth band? If it's any help I can identify some of the men with him as belonging to the Battalion Orderly Room.

It certainly looks like an MP cuffband, worn in the right place and with the right style of lettering. Being a TF unit they wouldn't have much need for MPs except on training weekends or other occasions when they came together as a battalion or larger formation. Any infractions on drill nights were likely to be at the level a corporal could deal with, or maybe the colour sergeant for something really naughty like answering an officer back. I'd therefore say Battalion is likely, or possibly Brigade.

Thanks for the input, chaps. The 'Brigade' prefix is a distinct possibility as it's almost certainly from a pre-war annual camp for the West Lancs Division and one of the men in the group has a Loyal's cap badge.