Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Signaller's Horse!

Steven Broomfield

Unusually, the 11th Hussars' journal (XI Hussars Journal - snappy title) was produced throughout the Great War. I came upon this splendid cartoon/sketch as the frontispiece of the September 1916 edition. The look on the poor nag's face is a classic.

Enjoy.

post-6673-0-08756600-1382800714_thumb.jp

Sorry - "Pity the signaller's horse (or the signaller), Note Articles of equipment missing are in front"

I confess that spending time in the Archives of the 11th (and those of the 10th) makes me feel I've died an woken up somewhere extremely close to Heaven.

Off the top of my head, 9.50, but don't quote me, please. I'm working from memory and have a couple of glasses of SA Chenin Blanc taken!

I have a Simkin print of the 11th where the trumpeter is wearing a white busby, similar to the Napoleonic French style. I believe this was unique in the Barmy to the PAO. Curious to know when this was started and discontinued. Certainly not before 1857 and not after 1914

To keep this on the Great War, do you have any personal papers relating to Edward Spears?

MG

Very little on Spears, I'm afraid, and I can't answer the question on the trumpeter's busby from home. I'll see what I can find next time I'm in the archives.