Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EDVII Territorial Efficiency Medal

shetland

I have a TFEM to a member of the RFA and am trying to find out when it was issued and if the recipient received any other medals. The EDVII was only instituted in 1908 and obviously finished in 1910 with the death of the king so few were issued. The WWI MIC doesn't show anything for this man although I don't have his full name, only the surname and initial and regimental number which is one the TFEM. I can't find a roll for the TFEM, does anyone know if one exists ?

Hi Shetland,

I believe that a book listing all awards of the EV11 TFEM was produced by Barry Taylor from Nottingham some years ago, but just what detail it contains I am unsure. It may be worth Googling to see if there is a copy for sale somewhere.

If you are unlucky then I could give you Barry's contact number via a P.M. and I am sure that he will be able to advise you.

Robert

Many thanks old owl for the reply. I have tried googling as you suggest but it doesn't come up with much. Can you please pm his details. Many thanks

Many thanks old owl for the reply. I have tried googling as you suggest but it doesn't come up with much. Can you please pm his details. Many thanks

P.M. sent. :thumbsup:

Robert

I have my grandfathers TFEM Edward V11 initialled with his name etc & 6th. Cheshires , as he was KIA in 1916 with the 1st. Cheshires, how did that apply as I understood 12 years was the minimum time factor?

Colin.

I have my grandfathers TFEM Edward V11 initialled with his name etc & 6th. Cheshires , as he was KIA in 1916 with the 1st. Cheshires, how did that apply as I understood 12 years was the minimum time factor?

Colin.

Hi Colin,

He must have been a pre-war volunteer/territorial who had served probably from around 1898/1899, or earlier, in order to qualify. The TFEM was instituted in 1908 to replace the Volunteer Long Service Medal. It is not unusual to find territorial soldiers who were killed in WW1 who had the EDV11 TFEM.

Possibly your GF had re-enlisted at the outbreak of war and was sent as a replacement to the 1st Bn(regulars) or did you mean the 1/6th Bn.?

Hope this clarifies things.

Robert

Try to locate JMA (John) Tamplin's Spink Medal Booklet "The Territorial Efficency Medal 1908-21" (1985). From recollection (mine's buried in storage) it does not list all recipients but will help with background. If I remember correctly also, these medals were listed in Army Orders.