Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Countess of Pembroke's Hospital, Wilton House, Salisbury

Cornwall

This hospital was set up by the Countess of Pembroke for officers during WW1. It was situated in her stately home.

I would be grateful if anyone has any photographs or articles regarding the above hospital. I am looking for information particularly from early October 1918 to December 1918. I have a few photographs sent by the house which are very interesting but do not show the officer I am particularly interested in.

His name was Sub Lt Sidney Walker, Royal Naval Division, Drake Battalion. He was badly injured at the Canal du Nord on 27 September 1918.

Any help would be very gratefully received. Many thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes

Oppy

David Herbert, A Second Son has a few remarks about Wilton House being a convalescent home. Herbert was the younger son of the Earl of Pembroke and was a lad at the time. He says he proved popular with some officers who would try to kiss him in the gardens.

I know a lady who does some voluntary work in the Wilton House library or archives. I'll bring your enquiry to her attention.

Moonraker

Hi Oppy, I have been researching the hospital at Wilton House and have found it extremely difficult. Everyone knows it was there but very few facts have come to light. I have a copy of a photo of the Countess with some staff and a little info about a couple of chaps but not the one you mention. I would bee delighted if you could add to my folder even if I cannot add to yours. mamck.

Many thanks for your replies Moonraker and Mamck. I have been sent twelve photos by the Estate Office at Wilton House which depict officers recovering from injuries in the house and grounds, not my man. I too have found it really difficult to get information. It is really strange that there are very few records usually there are loads of photos and written records of patients. Mamck I could send you these photos. Moonraker, if your friend has any information it would be gratefully received.

Once again thanks for your replies.

Kind regards

Oppy

Oppy: Mamck IS my friend!

There are others here who are far more knowledgeable than I about officers' convalescent homes, but I wonder about your statement that there are "usually there are loads of photos and written records of patients". I haven't come across many myself for Wiltshire, though officers at Longleat did produce the Longleat Lyre magazine. And I've seen only a few postcard photographs of groups of patients and nurses. There must have been quite a turnover of officers.

Moonraker