Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gibraltar RGA

Mumbles1

My grandfather, Cecil NV Jolliffe (129172), served with 54 Company RGA in Gibraltar during WW1. He always told my father that he was in Gibraltar throughout the war, I always thought that was a cushy number compared with his younger brother who fought and died in Sept 1917 in the RFA at Ypres.

Does anyone know how I can find out whether he was in Gibraltar all the time or whether his Company fought elsewhere too?

No. 54 Company, RGA served at Gibraltar throughout the war.

My Great-Uncle served in Gibraltar with the RGA, and I have been unsuccessful in finding any information on him. I think you will find that since Gibraltar was not considered an active war zone, no "war" diary is to be found..........although I would be very happy to be proven wrong!!

The Royal Gibraltar Regiment may have something in archives.

It is based on the milita/TA/reserve model but morphed into regular/TA combined unit, a very odd fish to follow. However in WW1, they did support regular units of the crown. I take this to mean the RGA based there etc. So the archivist at Gib may be able to tell you units based in the great war period.