Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help interpreting medical record

jmol17

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can shed light on my grandfathers record attached. I know some parts ie that he was badly wounded on 4.5.17 with bomb wounds and sent back to England, it is the annotations and numbers I need help with such as HA 5724 NZ (I?) Sty N amiens etc. and all the other codes.

Also I found the pages that this document came from 11 pages after the end of his service records on ancestry ie in the middle of another soldiers records, I don't know what made me search on but I'm glad I did as I found out how and when he was injured and the hospital he was in and other info. Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone else would wish to try it.

Thanks

JMol

post-74249-0-83861400-1382649361_thumb.j

Hypermetrop[ia] is longsightedness

"bis" on the first line is doctorspeak for twice - to the base hospital at Amiens I'm guessing

Bomb w[ound?] right hip right finger Left f[ore]arm septic sev[?ered?]

HA = Hospital Admission? Etaples.

HB I don't know but presumably Hospital again, W. Derby followed by Warrington.

I'm afraid I don't know what the numbers are when they are not dates.

Thanks everyone, very helpful. Do you know if C1194 after 4.5.17 would be the reference for the Casualty Clearing Station nr the battlefield, I know it was the battle of Bullecourt from the website -

At 4am on 4 May a heavy German bombardment hit the 2nd Royal Warwickshire and 20th Manchesters while they formed up readyto advance.

Thanks again for your help

J