The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tracing a P.O.W.

Badgepye

Hi,

I'm researching Private 9348 William Morrall of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment. On his M.I.C. he has a qualifying date of 22/8/1914 and "P of W" which I am taking to be prisoner of war. I'm struggling to get any further information as to what happened to him. I believe he came home and survived to to a good age but I want to fill in the gaps about his incarceration.

Could anyone point me in the direction of where I may find more details?

Many thanks

You could look at this thread relating to POWs (mostly men taken prisoner early in the War)who went into internment in Holland in 1918; if he was taken prisoner in the early stages of the fighting perhaps your man was among them.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184517

I can confirm the "P of W" signifies Prisoner of War - his medal card is filled out almost identically to an August 1914 POW relative's in this and in other respects - but don't know enough to guess at a date for his capture from it.

Pat

I see him on a "missing list" published 6th November 1914, along with hundreds of others

Gerry

Many thanks both for your replies, I shall explore the link.

Gerry, is your "missing list" something that's available from the National Archive? Many thanks for the information.

It's from an Irish Newpaper.

I can send it to you if you like

Gerry

Got your message and I will send the list of aprox 400 Men from the Ryl Warwickshire Rgt who are missing in action

Regards

Gerry