Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Norwich

barkalotloudly

I have been fortunate to find the roll of honour for Norwich printed 1924, however the cheapskates at the corporation, who compiled this roll {3400 names} only listed names and regiments with no other details, I will have to try and find a directory for 1914? to add further information !

2 George`s, 1st Battalion Norfolk regiment

9th Battalion West yorkshire regiment

and a further 14 Howes of other first names, could be any of these as these rolls are notorious for getting some of the names wrong, no doubt some lowly clerk compiled this and late on a hot friday afternoon who knows!

sorry 2 George Howes

• 3 months later...

Hi

Just found your post. I have posted on another thread about the Book of Remembrance that I am compiling in commemoration of the 38 soldiers killed in WW1 from my village. I am stuck on 2. 1 being Private Friend Whitwam. I have only a name on the Roll of Honour but have deduced he must have been Private Friend Whitwam Reg Number 320823 killed in Palestine 9th March 1918. Born Huddersfield and enlisted in Huddersfield of Norfolk Regiment 12th Yeomanry. Buried Jerusalem Cemetery J94. However I have no definite connect to the village and wondered if there was any reference to him on the Norwich Roll of Honour. The Friend Whitwam I think he was had a brother, Joseph, who survived the war and enlisted in great Yarmouth .Reg No 202495 and 88554. Any info. would be appreciated.

Thank you

sorry no Whitwam`s listed