Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bullock Marsham 19th Hussars

paul_adam

I am researching Francis William Bullock Marsham and wondered if anyone could help as I have got a bit stuck on several points. There are no papers for him at Kew and so I have got most references from the LG or War Diaries.

He was serving with the 19th Hussars, and his MIC gives a date of 10/9/14 for landing in France. My problems start there because the squadrons initially served with different Divisions and I cannot find a reference to him in the war diary for A, B or C squadron, and all three disembarked at the end of August.

When the 19th reformed in April 1915 and the war diary becomes that for all squadrons, the roll of officers doesn't refer to him.

War Diary 1/1/16 refers to him as receiving MID in LG of same date and refers to him as Staff - and his MID Card refers to him as GHQ Staff - that makes me think he was appointed to the Staff early on, but I cannot find any reference to it.

LG 2/3/16 FWB Marsham is Brigade Major from 5/2/16. Cannot find which Cavalry Brigade this was - definitely not the 9th (which 19th Hussars was part of)

LG June 1916 awarded MC

LG 16/7/17 appointed GSO2 from 8/6/17. assuming this was 2nd Cavalry Division as he was temporary GSO1 from 25/02/18

If any one can give me any ideas of how to pin down where he was from Sept 14 - Jan 16 and which Brigade he was Brig-Maj to I would be really grateful!

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul

Part 1 Order of Battle of Divisions page 9 - 2nd Cavalry Division

G.S.O.1. 22 Mar.,1918 Major F. W. BULLOCK-MARSHAM (acting)

G.S.O.1. 27 Mar.,1918. Lt.E.DE BURGH

I have no recollection of seeing an index of names of individuals mentioned in the Order of Battle of Divisions other than an index of formations and so its like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Here are some further clues.

Extract War Services of Officers of the Army April 1920 page 233

BULLOCK-MARSHAM F.W. (Major 19th Hrs)

War of 1914-9 On Staff. Operations in France and Belgium from 10 Sept to 11 Nov 18.

Despatches Lond. Gaz. 1 Jan.16 and 20 May 18. 1914 Star, D.S.O., M.C.

Extract Part 2 The Distinguished Service Order page 215

BULLOCK-MARSHAM F.W. ( D.S.O. L.G. 3.6.18) b. 14.7.83. 2nd Lt. 19th Hrs 25.5.10; Adjt.14.7.10. to 13.7.13., Capt.25.6.14., Major 3rd D. Gds. 26.8.19. Despatches M.C.

Extract Honour the Officers WW1 Awards page 153

Has his D.S.O. listed as L.G. 3.6.18 page 6458, M.C. L.G. 3.6.16 page 5571.

Philip

Wonder if he gets any mention in that pretty common cavalry staff officer book for that early period - title escapes me!.

It wouldn't surprise me. Will take a look tonight.

FYI - Finovala Marianne Eleanor Maclean (b. 14 February 1887 – d. ?) - She married her second husband Brigadier Francis William Bullock-Marsham (b. 1883 – d.1971) on 19 April 1922.

The 19th have ended up subsumed into the Light Dragoons. Museum in Newcastle and web site here: http://www.lightdragoons.org.uk/historical_enquiries.html

No idea what they're like, but as won a DSO and MC, one might assume they have some information.

Thoughtlessly, the 19th Hussars produced no history for the GW, though Alan Mallinson (ex-LD) has produced some recent histories.

Wonder if he gets any mention in that pretty common cavalry staff officer book for that early period - title escapes me!.

"Sally" Home's diaries?

This is a snippet from "The Bedfordshire Yeomanry in the Great War". It refers to 12th June 1915.

"The Regiment was met by Captain F. Bullock-Marsham, Staff Captain of the 9th Cavalry Brigade"

I have a list of MID 1 Jan 1916 ,and he is listed in it.

It's from Sir John French's list relating to 15 October 1915

Gerry

"Sally" Home's diaries?

That's the woman.

("The Diary of a World War 1 Cavalry Officer" Archibald Home )

I think Home was at Division but if our man was Staff Captain 9th Brigade at the time, he may well get a mention as he moved in the right circles.

Thanks everyone! This has given me a few new threads to follow. It is a bit of a needle in a haystack, and I may have to go take a look at all the Cavalry Brigade diaries to see if he is noted as Brigade Major - I tried the 9th Bgde but that named someone else at the time he held the role. I imagine if I start with the 3rd 4th and 5th I might get lucky as he served in 2nd Cavalry Division.

Sounds as if he was Staff Capt with 9th Cav Bgde and then Brigade Major with a different Brigade.

Thanks again...I will keep on digging!

Paul

Yes, as I suspected Marsham is mentioned briefly in the Home book.

He is referred to as "Slug" Marsham and is first mentioned arriving at Cavalry Corps HQ on 9.5.18 to replace Babe Nicholson who is reported to be "idle" and "indolent". I presume he came as GSO 1? Possibly higher as he becomes a Brigadier and cops for a DSO.

My brother has the book at the moment so I cant quote the other 3 mentions in June 18 - but it's worth getting and not expensive.

• 3 months later...

Thanks NellieD, it's a great photograph isn't it. I had found that and it is going to accompany his entry in the book I am (fingers crossed) getting published this year.

The book is about cricketers who played for Kent and served in the Great War - more than 90 of them. FWB Marsham played only once for the first team, but may have done moreso but for his military service. His brother CHB Marsham was a Captain of the club and served with the West Kent Yeomanry (and 10th Buffs once formed). I've managed to pin down most of their service records, and they served in all three services, in an assortment of roles. An interesting bunch

Did he go to Eton? I seem to think he did...

I ask as I know of someone who wrote a book about Eton boys in the war.I could make enquiries for you.

Thanks Nellie, both brothers went to Eton (plus I believe many more generations of the family). If you can find any detail from your contact that would be very kind.

• 4 years later...
On 24/10/2013 at 19:01, paul_adam said:

Thanks everyone! This has given me a few new threads to follow. It is a bit of a needle in a haystack, and I may have to go take a look at all the Cavalry Brigade diaries to see if he is noted as Brigade Major - I tried the 9th Bgde but that named someone else at the time he held the role. I imagine if I start with the 3rd 4th and 5th I might get lucky as he served in 2nd Cavalry Division.

Sounds as if he was Staff Capt with 9th Cav Bgde and then Brigade Major with a different Brigade.

Thanks again...I will keep on digging!

Paul

Hi Paul. I am found this thread when I search the name Francis William Bullock Marsham. I am aware of this thread is some years ago, but I try anyway.  I am trying to find some history of him during the great war. The reason I am interested in his history is that have in my possession his Officer sword that he purchased from wilkinson swords in 1906. So I wonder if you got any further with your search? I am much obliged if you will share your findings.

Sincerly yours

Hasle Fredly