Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal worn by POWs at a party in Copenhagen, Xmas 1918

Barnbarroch

Can anyone identify this medal worn by the ex-POWs who work in Copenhagen after the war repatriating other POWs from Germany? I realise it's not much to go on, blown up as it is from a small photo of a roomful of people!

I'd be grateful for any help.

Jamie.

post-91131-0-33816200-1382597454_thumb.j

I can't for the life of me find a picture of it, but it could be the Danish Red Cross Commemorative Decoration for Aid to POWs, 1914-1919
(Dansk Røde Kors' mindetegn for krigsfangehjaelp 1914-1919)

One small point though - the ribbon on the medal linked is red-white-red, whilst in the black and white shot it appears light-dark-light. Even allowing for the general oddity of orthochromatic film the white should have stayed white.

Fantastic, thank you all for your help. I'm sure you're right that it's the Danish Red Cross Commemorative Decoration for Aid to POWs - but why the ribbon is different from that illustrated I can't imagine.

​The rest of the photo is clear and plausible - I am sure there can't be anything wrong with the way it appears in that and there are many people wearing it with apparently identical ribbons. Maybe the design was changed - was it originally the same as some other medal, perhaps?

Regards,

Jamie.

The Christmas party medal was given before the 26th December 1918.

The Danish Red Cross medal for prisoner of war aid 1914-1919 was given at a ceremony on 20th September 1919

We must keep on looking!

Regards

Dorothy