Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Donald Bell V. C. - unknown abbreviations in a letter home

Tom Morgan

In his last letter home to his mother, Donald Bell V. C. wrote as follows (text taken from a printed book);

When the battalion went over, I with my team crawled up a communication trench and attacked the gun and trench and I hit the gun first shot from about 20 yards and knocked it over. The G.C.C. has been over to congratulate the battalion and he personally thanked me. I must confess it was the biggest fluke alive and I did nothing. I only chucked one bomb but it did the trick. The C.C. says I saved the situation for this gun was doing all the damage.

Would anyone know what the abbreviations G.C.C. and C.C. mean? I must admit I have an idea, but I'd like to see if anyone comes up with the same explanation so won't mention it unless someone else does.

Tom

Surely it is GOC and OC The Brigade commander and the Battalion or Company Commander he is referring to.

regards

John

That's what I thought, too. I think that someone has misread a handwritten capital "O" from the original letter and it has become a printed capital "C" in the book. General Officer Commanding and Officer Commanding.

Tom

The letter dated 7th July was printed in full in Richard Leake's book "A Breed Apart" and says: "The GOC has been over to congratulate the Battalion and personally thanked me......."

Les