Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Planned Trip

Granton Chaz

Hi

Looking to spend a week at the end of April 2014 visiting Ypres and surrounding areas.

Is there a stand out tour company and do i have book early.

I don't drive & will probably fly to Brussels from Edinburgh and my way to Ypres by train unless i join a tour in England.

Charlie

Ypres to the Somme is a long way and I would think difficult by public transport, I have never tried. Also travelling around the Somme would require a vehicle unless you are prepared to walk and have the time. I would suggest that you look at one of the many tours available.

If you don't drive you need to be looking at a tour as Keith says. Many of the areas are quire rural!

I would suggest concentrating on either Ypres or the Somme. Ypres to the Somme area would be a nightmare by train - you'd need to change at least twice to get as far as Arras, and then you're at the mercy of the local branch lines get any further.

Hi Charlie,

You could fly to Brussels, train it down to Ieper (Ypres) and take a tour with Salient Tours or Over the Top Tours.

Return to Brussels and, take the evening TGV service from Brussels-Midi, down to Arras (stops briefly in Lille). Stay overnight in Arras and have a look around. Visit Carriere Wellington, before taking a local train down to Amiens.

In Amiens, you could go out with Somme-Normandy Tours.

Fly back to UK via Aeroport de Pairs Beauvais, close by to Amiens.

Have a good trip, Peter

Leger do tours of the western front with pick ups around a large area of the UK, They have a good selection of trips so it would be your choice which one to go with.

Dave

http://www.mgbtours.com/

http://www.battle-honours.eu/

Just two more!

(Are you a coach BTW? I noted the ECB logo in your photo- I'm a scorer tutor)

Michelle

Hi
Good to hear from you. Thanks for the links.
I am youth convener at a local cricket club (Heriot's) who play in the Scottish national league.
In addition especially this year i have been scoring to a decent standard. I hold ECB Level 1 but should be higher but preferred to play in the last few years. With the wonderful summer we had in Scotland i managed to score over 30 games which is good going up here.
Who do you score for. I was down quite a few years ago when Scotland played Wiltshire at i think Salisbury.

Here's another scorer with his twopennorth!

I accept that it was quite a few (six or seven) years ago, I travelled by train around parts of France and Belgium and didn't have too many problems. I went from London to Paris via Eurostar and stayed a few days. Following that, I went to Albert for a few more days, and then to Ieper via Brussels. I finished with a couple of days in Bruges and then back to London on the Eurostar.

I can't remember exactly who I travelled with while I was there (I don't drive, either), but it must have been either Salient Tours or Over the Top Tours in Ieper and possibly Somme-Normandy Tours (or someone else) in Albert. Whoever it was, they were very good, and I too would recommend them. One good thing is that they were willing to deviate from their planned routes to accomodate personal wishes - as long as it didn't take the trip too far out of their way, of course.

Recently, I have been going with Leger, and they have been very good. I've done five trips covering both the First and Second World Wars, and I'm planning another for next year. Their local pick up system works well, and they're not worried if you ask to be picked up somewhere other than the place where you actually live. I've been away from South Wales twice before joining the tour, and the arrangements have been fine in both cases. They will also be happy if you don't go back with the tour - I've done that, as well.

For what it's worth, as Michelle knows, I score for the First Team of Newport Cricket Club in the South Wales Premier League. We've had a good season weather-wise as well, and together with scoring for the Forty Club, I must have done twenty five to thirty matches during the season - more than for a long time!

:)

Here's another scorer with his twopennorth!

I accept that it was quite a few (six or seven) years ago, I travelled by train around parts of France and Belgium and didn't have too many problems. I went from London to Paris via Eurostar and stayed a few days. Following that, I went to Albert for a few more days, and then to Ieper via Brussels. I finished with a couple of days in Bruges and then back to London on the Eurostar.

I can't remember exactly who I travelled with while I was there (I don't drive, either), but it must have been either Salient Tours or Over the Top Tours in Ieper and possibly Somme-Normandy Tours (or someone else) in Albert. Whoever it was, they were very good, and I too would recommend them. One good thing is that they were willing to deviate from their planned routes to accomodate personal wishes - as long as it didn't take the trip too far out of their way, of course.

Recently, I have been going with Leger, and they have been very good. I've done five trips covering both the First and Second World Wars, and I'm planning another for next year. Their local pick up system works well, and they're not worried if you ask to be picked up somewhere other than the place where you actually live. I've been away from South Wales twice before joining the tour, and the arrangements have been fine in both cases. They will also be happy if you don't go back with the tour - I've done that, as well.

For what it's worth, as Michelle knows, I score for the First Team of Newport Cricket Club in the South Wales Premier League. We've had a good season weather-wise as well, and together with scoring for the Forty Club, I must have done twenty five to thirty matches during the season - more than for a long time!

:)

Cheers for the info.

Good to see a few scorers on here. Ive just got another ECB level which is good but will not help much as i am back playing next year.