Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Gun detachments on the move

shutt

All the photos I have seen of gun detachments on the move, show the team pulling the limber and gun with the three drivers on the left side horses. Probably a daft question, but how did the gun crew travel, would they have horses or travel on a wagon ?. When I was a kid I remember I had the old Airfix RHA figure set, on the box cover picture there a couple of guys on the limber, bravely hanging on. Having looked at quite a few photos now, I have not seen one with anyone on the Limber, but I guess when travelling quick over rough ground it would be very hard to hang on from what I`ve seen !. So, was just pondering this, I would think they must have been mounted to keep up with the gun, but would appreciate any ones opinion or help as it is niggling away at me.

Bikertom,

From the attached photos we can see members of the gun team riding along seated on the limber, or the gun, and in other cases they rode along separately on horseback or in GS wagons.

However, as you can see from the photo of the gun and limber proceeding at speed ' at the gallop ', the gun and limber could fly several feet off the ground, and anyone seated on them would be in danger of falling off, and becoming detached from the gun team.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-79795500-1382565326_thumb.j

post-63666-0-92323000-1382565341_thumb.j

post-63666-0-57330800-1382565356_thumb.j

post-63666-0-18014900-1382565408_thumb.j

post-63666-0-77221500-1382565420_thumb.j

Hello bikertom

The 18=pounder detachment consisted of ten men, of whom No.1 (a sergeant) was in command, and No.10 (a corporal) was in charge of the wagons. Nos. 1 to 6 were the men who actually tended the gun in action, and 7 to 9 were reserves and ammunition carriers.

1 and 10 on their horses, and when limbered up usually on the left of the gun and wagon leaders respectively.

2 and 3 on the gun limber.

4 on the wagon of the firing battery.

5 and 6 on the wagon limber.

7 and 8 on the first-line wagon limber.

9 on the first-line wagon.

2, 4, 6 and 8 on the near side.

3, 5, 7 and 9 on the off side.

For the RHA:

The detachment consists of nine men, together with two horse-holders, Nos. 10 and 11. In each section an extra horse-holder, numbered 12, is required for the section commander. The senior non-commissioned officer is 1, and is in charge of the sub-section. He rides on the left of the lead driver of the gun, except at “Detachment Front”, when he is on the right of the detachment.

The next senior is 7, and is the coverer. The active numbers are Nos. 1 to 6, and are mounted men. The reserve numbers are Nos. 8 and 9. They are dismounted men and are carried on the limber of the first-line wagons.

Ron

Forgive a little nit-pick. I think the first picture is a 60 pounder which was RGA. Never the less a fine picture

Old Tom

Forgive a little nit-pick. I think the first picture is a 60 pounder which was RGA. Never the less a fine picture

Old Tom

Yes, definitely a 60 pounder, only included to show the men standing on the gun.

Regards,

LF

Mr LF, Would you know the location of that bridge in the very clear photograph ?

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

The caption only states :-

" Gun on Mk.I carriage being towed in Flanders, August 1918 "

Regards,

LF

I

Bob,

The caption only states :-

" Gun on Mk.I carriage being towed in Flanders, August 1918 "

Regards,