The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gun Cotton Container

Guest reingeneration

Guest reingeneration

I have come across this which after a little research I find is a First World War Gun Cotton Primer Container. The base is marked by an embossed stamp ' B&A III '. I would be interested to know some more of its use and if it has any value or is just of curiosity interest.

325mm long

35mm dia

pzzf.jpg9rfs.jpg

Interesting find, everything GW related has some value, I have never seen one before so I can't suggest a price, as a matter of interest what are the dimensions?

khaki

I've used 1 oz primers to fire 1 lb gun-cotton slabs, but the primers were C.E. (Composition Exploding) then. They were used with either an electrical detonator (No.33) or a detonator to take safety fuze No.27 (I think). Useful for cutting railway line and other demolition. The 1oz gun-cotton primers were of course the prime item in 'Jam-Tin' bombs along with lengths of barbed wire, shrapnel balls and other debris. - SW

Would this be the sort of explosive used by RE for bridge demolition and the like? The sort of thing to which Plastic Explosive was used for in the 50's.

Old Tom

Yes. We used P.E. and Nobels 808 as well, but gun cotton slabs were said to be better at cutting steel. I didn't have enough experience of using them to form an opinion. I do remember that Nobels 808 would give you the mother and father of a headache unless you remembered to bring rubber gloves! It was the Nitro-glycerine content.- SW