Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

machine gun battalion cap badge

mcfc1923

I know i'm asking a lot, but can anyone tell by this photo if the badge is genuine,

it certainly looks the part but it seems very light indeed, no weight to it at all.

just wondering if i bought a dud --again.

cheers guys

jim

mcfc1923

Show us the back,that is a better way of making a judgement as to the authenticity of a Badge,from the Solders used & lug sizes etc,there are unfortunately far more Guards MGC Badges around in the 21st Century than ever existed in the 1916~18s!!,The Dies used for re strikes are often the original ones so the front is usually identical to the issue badges,it is the thickness of the metals,construction & finish that are best used to determine its status,An original could be new looking @ the front if it had been treasured & put by by a Loved one etc , & a replacement bought by the Soldier,so the condition wouldnt discount it,Even if not a "right one" it'll fill the gap until you discover one in a veterans Box with all his accoutrements to back it up!! ;)

The Dies used for re strikes are often the original ones so the front is usually identical to the issue badges,it is the thickness of the metals,construction & finish that are best used to determine its status

Harry,

to add my 2d, sometimes the metals used as well ?

Harry and Bert

Afraid I borrowed my digi camera to my neice today while she went on a school trip, but i'll get it back tomorrow and get some photos of the back view and put em on the forum tomorrow.

cheers lads

jim

[

to add my 2d, sometimes the metals used as well ?

Absolutely! Cap Badge Collecting is a Minefield these days,Some of the Early 60s & 70s Restrikes have accquired an "Age" & it can be very difficult to distinguish McCoy from Spurious,They have to be very cheap or Guaranteed!

Some Badges were re~struck in Metals they were never issued in,such as the White Metal King "Edwards Horse,"Which never existed in WW1 but turned up in droves in the 1960s & are occasionally seen listed as "rare" on listings today,but are totally Spurious.

Absolutely! Cap Badge Collecting is a Minefield these days,Some of the Early 60s & 70s Restrikes have accquired an "Age" & it can be very difficult to distinguish McCoy from Spurious,They have to be very cheap or Guaranteed!

Some Badges were re~struck in Metals they were never issued in,such as the White Metal King "Edwards Horse,"Which never existed in WW1 but turned up in droves in the 1960s & are occasionally seen listed as "rare" on listings today,but are totally Spurious.

Harry

i honestly believe you were totally right in your first post...if it is in the tin with the medals, you've got a good chance of it being right, all the rest is down to you and your feel abut the badge

i have a couple, that i have paid good money for, but i'm not 100% about, when i hold them and look at them seem superb but........

i'd never pay over a fiver for a badge on the internet without the option of returning it. my mind goes back to certain welsh dealer, when i questioned the fact that a vol. badge had been obviously faked, i was told i was being picky

hmmm

Harry and Bert

Afraid I borrowed my digi camera to my neice today while she went on a school trip, but i'll get it back tomorrow and get some photos of the back view and put em on the forum tomorrow.

cheers lads

jim

hope these pics help.

cheers

jim

mcfc1923

Sorry, old man, can't see enough of the bases of the lugs to form an opinion. Can you see any quantity of gold-coloured (or copper-coloured) molten metal pooled about the bases? Although the earlier generations of restrikes had the lugs brazed on (as did the original badges) the more recent ones (last fifteen years or so) are electrically 'welded'.

Bert

my neice has still got my camera, so i gave the badge to my brother in law today

to take the photos, and he emailed the pics to me.(i get the badge back on sunday) So on sunday i will get a closer

photo to show you, my brother inlaw does a lot of welding and soldering at his job,

so he should be able to give us a clue as to how the lugs were put on.

so i will get the info and pics and get back to you sunday.

If i can remember correctly around the base of the lugs the colour was like an orange and light green. Any way i'll know more tomorrow and get back to you.

many thanks indeed Bert, and to the other pals of course

jim

mcfc1923

sorry Bert, still waiting for pics from my brother inlaw, think i mite have to send the badge to harribobs if he does'nt mind and see what he can tell us, will let you know if i get ant more info in the mean time.

cheers

jim

That would probably be the best way to be certain (or as certain as anything in life can be) since so much depends on how a badge 'feels', and then, even the best photographs don't really provide as much detail as one needs. Do let us know how it all turns out. Incidentally, I have two of these badges in my own collection, one white metal, one brass, and I am not 100% satisfied that they are genuine. As Harry Betts pointed out, there are far more of these MGG badges now than there ever were in 1918....

sorry Bert, still waiting for pics from my brother inlaw, think i mite have to send the badge to harribobs if he does'nt mind and see what he can tell us, will let you know if i get ant more info in the mean time.

cheers

jim

no problem Jim

but i'm not an expert just an enthusiastic amateur, however the stockport fair is next weekend and we could get an expert opinion there

cheers

jim

no problem Jim

but i'm not an expert just an enthusiastic amateur, however the stockport fair is next weekend and we could get an expert opinion there

just want to say a big thanks to harribobs for checking out the authenticity of my

MGC badge, and yes, true to form i now am the owner of a 100% genuine dud!!!.

Anyway, you'll be glad to hear that for the momet my badge collecting dud days are over, decided to go a bit up market so to speak, been offered this painting called the mona Lisa, lovely looking girl with long dark hair wearing a bile green coloured smock, got a good feelin about this one.

jim

mcfc1923

I really hate to disappoint you both, but I purchased the original in a junk shop in West Cowpie, Arkansas. It was an Italian junk shop, so I know it is the original! The owner was called "Godfather" by his assistant.

DrB

:D

The previous correspondants must all be wrong, and their paintings must be fake.

I collect Mona Lisas, and have at least three originals in my collection, along with an authentication of two of them by the artist.

I also have a Mona by C. Athena, which is nice because it's laminated, and I can clean it quite easily.

Caveat Emptor......

so if you lot all have the original mona Lisa, then by my reconing i must be the only

person around to own an original fake mona Lisa.

And are any of your mona Lisa's wearing platform boots?,---no, i didn't think they would be.

as the old song goes-- '' are you real mona Lisa--are are you just another platform boots wearing work of art, mona Lisa mona Lisa mona Lisa !!!!!''

jim

mcfc1923

A Mona Lisa in platform boots? I say, I think I may be interested in one of those... Nudge, nudge - wink, wink.

Bert, would that be the painting or just one of the boots that you would be interested in ?

on a personnal level, i would have to go for the smock she's wearing, i can't be

100% certain but i do believe its chiffon, course it could be just a rumour.

jim

mcfc1923