Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whats wrong with this?

museumtom

Don't think so - it would be the crown worn by Victoria, which was heraldically of a different pattern.

If it relates to the Great War only, as it says, then it ought to be an Imperial crown (often called "King's").

Ron

This is the standard 'queen' version of the crown. Since the VC was instituted in Victoria's reign, it has her crown on. They are not, then, going to change the design of the medal when the monarch changes to a bloke - it is still the Victoria Cross!!

James

Thanks James - my point, but probably better made!

A recently photographed example >

post-108-0-88206000-1382566117_thumb.jpg

Tom

The Crown on the VC itself has never changed. The engraving on the headstones is perhaps to simplify the process - but it does not change with the monarch (such as cap badges).

There you go, you learn something every day.

Thank you everyone for teasing this out.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Just to add a little bit to Staffsyeoman's comment about crowns on cap badges changing: The cap badge of the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars was officially produced with a number of different crowns depending on the monarch of the time, but strictly speaking only one is correct: that of Queen Adelaide. The reason being that the badge contains Queen Adelaide's cypher AR, and it is wrong to put another monarch's crown over it. I won't try and post photos of the various badges but a quick visit to ebay may show some of them.

PS. I just took a look at ebay: The badges with the square shoulders to the crown are correct. The king's type crown as shown on the silk is incorrect.

PPS: Even the badge on the avatar I'm using is wrong!

PPS: Even the badge on the avatar I'm using is wrong!

Frankly I'm appalled at your slapdash, amateurish attempt at an avatar - it has been infuriating me for months every time I read one of your posts...

:devilgrin:

Just to add a sideline; many dealers on a well known online auction site put up Queen Victoria crown cap badges of the Staffordshire Yeomanry, calling them varying degrees of rare. Ah yes. Except they were still in production in the Second World War and were worn in the desert and in Normandy.. (It was to commemorate the fact that it was The Staffordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Royal Regiment).

redbarchetta - I am appropriately humbled. All I can say in my own defence is: when a long time ago I joined the Forum I used the logo from one of our regimental association's publications...

To return to the original post it seems a little odd to make paving stones over which people will walk rather than wall plaques.

On the question of crowns I once saw a artillery battery badge in which a saxon crown was superimposed over a Royal crown.., I suspect there is simply a lack of knowledge of heraldic convention

Greg