Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniformed rogues in British Transport Police Gallery

tocemma

Came across this today http://www.btp.police.uk/about_us/our_history/crime_history/visit_our_rogues_gallery.aspx

Fascinating photos of those in uniform committing various naughties. No comment on the crimes but I thought the photos would be interesting.

I'm thinking the Police are in error with Lt. Graham-Parker, RFA not RAF I'm thinking...

Regards

Tocemma

post-7141-0-04384000-1382470227_thumb.jp

post-7141-0-38422200-1382470279_thumb.jp

post-7141-0-35415000-1382470304_thumb.jp

One wonders why various types nick a case and get jail with hard labour but an Aussie private does the same and gets a fine.

One wonders why various types nick a case and get jail with hard labour but an Aussie private does the same and gets a fine.

One of the main issues at Etaples was that Australian troops had far laxer punishments than UK ones.

It says he got a fine or imprisonment. We don't know which.

Crikey - some frightening looking characters!

Thanks for posting (but will have night mares tonight!).

Ant

They would have been options: pay the fine or, if unwilling or unable, serve a short stretch instead.

Cheers,

GT.

They would have been options: pay the fine or, if unwilling or unable, serve a short stretch instead.

Cheers,

GT.

Yes.

I don't think that the "option" to pay the fine would have existed, would the fine not have have been deducted from his wages?

Jon

this one didn't have to worry about record?? MARR, G Rank: Private Service No: 446580 Date of Death: 08/08/1918 Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry 16th Bn. Grave Reference A. 5. Cemetery DEMUIN BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information:

But offered the option which the others don't seem to have and were given a longer stretch at that

I don't think that the "option" to pay the fine would have existed, would the fine not have have been deducted from his wages?

Jon

Legally I don't think that a civil court could do that unless he consented so he genuinely had the option - except that possibly his CO could have ordered him to consent ( but if he had already gone to jail [so much more restful than the trenches] rather than rejoining his unit when would the CO have known about it?)

I see from MRI Graham Parker lost his medals over this conviction....

He was RFA based at Biscot Camp, Luton.

So he did poor s0d.

Gordon Marr, born Dundee, Scotland, March 9th, 1892.

Attested May 21st 1915 in Calgary.

Service No. 446580

Unit: 16th Battalion

Date of death: 8th August 1918

Place of burial: Demuin British Cemetery nr Villers Brettonneux Grave A.5

A box of fish seems rather trivial now doesn't it?

Regards

Tocemma

post-7141-0-02257700-1382552710_thumb.jp

I found Jack Graham-Parker living at an address in Hendon in 1924, thereafter no trace. I wonder if he changed his name?

Regards

Tocemma

Legally I don't think that a civil court could do that unless he consented so he genuinely had the option - except that possibly his CO could have ordered him to consent ( but if he had already gone to jail [so much more restful than the trenches] rather than rejoining his unit when would the CO have known about it?)

I know you are seeking to show a distinction between Courts Martial from the civilian courts but a Civil Court is a distinct and seperate entity that doesn't deal with Criminal Law (which I believe is the same in Scottish Law). A custodial sentence has nearly always been available as an alternative to paying a fine ( actually the fine originated as an alternative to another form of punishment) for those that did not have the means to pay it. Even today some people will elect for a short period of custody rather than have a fine hanging over them - for quite low fines people who cannot pay will be given a short sentence of custody and required to serve it sitting at the back of the court.