Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Research -Westminster Dragoons-Help Needed

Ron da Valli

Hello all,

I am researching the history of a 1914-15 star belonging to;

1922 L/Cpl James N. Thomas 2nd County Of London Yeomanry ( C of Dns)

and Sgt D/16417

Am I right in assuming this is the Westminster Dragoons?

The above details are from his medal index card, but I cannot find any other details.

Can anyone please help and point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Darryl

2nd County of London Yeomanry was also known as the Westminster Dragoons. He would likely have disembarked in Egypt with the Westminster Dragoons in Sep 1914 and possibly served at Gallipoli. The MIC should show 3 for Egypt. MG edit. I see his MIC states disembarkation on 5th Nov 1914 which suggests he followed the regiment who landed in 25th-28th Sep 1914 with 42nd Div.

Edit. The Westminster Dragoons and the Hertfordshire Yeomanry were sent to Egypt with the 42nd East Lancs Div TF early in the War. Sadly the Westminster Dragoons war diary is quite thin. Only 350 of the men were sent to Gallipoli withe the remainder staying in Egypt between Aug and Nov 1915. Their original role was to take over from the 3rd Dragoons based in Cairo who were the garrison cavalry in Cairo pre-war.

Edit 2. In early 1917 the Yeomanry all went through a number change. The new number series were 5 digit. In his case he had an even later Corps of Dragoons number which strongly suggests he served past 1917 at least.

The best ref book is "2nd County of London (Westminster Dragoons) Yeomanry; the First Twenty Years" by Maj Edward Rowe MC. Despite its scarcity the book is still quite inexpensive. Covers the whole of the Great War in detail.

MG

• 7 months later...

Justin case anyone searches for this, I have found that the date 5 November 1914 that appears in the medals rolls was an amendment (which I still do not really understand) and that the men actually physically arrived at Alexandria on 25 September. For an example, see the records of Pte 1738 James Septimus Hall.

Justin case anyone searches for this, I have found that the date 5 November 1914 that appears in the medals rolls was an amendment (which I still do not really understand) and that the men actually physically arrived at Alexandria on 25 September. For an example, see the records of Pte 1738 James Septimus Hall.

I think the 5th Nov was significant because it was the date that Britain and France declared War on Turkey. Up to that point Egypt would not have been considered to be in a War zone (my term - I am sure there is a technically correct term). I think that the Alexandria/Cairo Garrisons up to that point would not have qualified for the 1914-15 Star. Not sure if for example TF Garrison troops in India qualified for the 1914-15 Star. Not sure if this qualified for 1914 Star? *

I am fairly sure the amendment as something to do with this. The Westminster Dragoons history notes the date as a significant event as the Khedive was 'definitely pro-Turkish.

MG

* I don't think there was any action before 22nd Nov so probably not.