Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boer War long Lee Enfield

StAubyns

I had the opportunity to fire this Long Lee Enfield on Sunday. I have seen similar stock carvings in the Leeds Armoury recently, but I am certain they were Mausers

The owner believes that the rifle belonged to Commandant P Hattingh, or C P Hattinge but there does not seem to be much information on this gentleman on the web. I have found reference to the Hattingh surname, but thats about it.

However, it was an experience to be able to fire a piece of history :)

post-4232-0-60097200-1382445457_thumb.jp

What a fascinating rifle. Thanks for sharing.

If the owner hasn't done so already, he should consider contacting Dave George in Australia with details and photos of his rifle. Mr. George has written two books on carved Anglo-boer arms (of all types) and is collecting info now for a third book. I haven't got my copies handy to see if this rifle is already in there. I'm fortunate enough to have a carved OVS Mauser and have passed the info on to Mr. George. His books are great. More info at:

boerwarriflecarvings.net

• 2 months later...

"Hattingh" is a known Afrikaaner family name. There are a number of Hattinghs in the Oranje Rivier area in the former Orange Free State. A former colleage of mine who served in the Namibian Agricultural Dep. is a Hattingh from there. - Perhaps it makes sense for you to contact him. If you send me a private mail I can write him and ask him to contact you.

Kind regards

Henry