Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying a German Naval shell case

Simon127

Hi All,

I have been trying for some time to identify this German Naval shell casing and, more specifically, the type of weapon it was used in. I believe that it is a 6cm shell used by the Kaiserliche Marine as it bears the crowned M motif on the headstamp. I originally thought that it had been cut down from a larger shell for use as an ash tray but I have since come across several other naval issue examples that are the same height, suggesting that this is not the case (no pun intended!).

I have uploaded some photos which show the headstamping typically encountered on these cases, and another photo of one which has been made into a rather ugly piece of maritime trench art, perhaps implying that the gun which fired it was used on a vessel.

If anyone can help me with which weapon may have fired it and what sort of vessel (if applicable) I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Simon

46bt.png
3ekh.jpg
58y.JPG

Hello, Simon - The shell case is indeed naval. If the length is 64 mm, it's a 60x64 shell case for the cannon primarily used as submarine deck guns during the early years of the war (ca. 1914-1916). [it was replaced by the 88mm cannon on large U-Boats ca.1917-1918.] The 60mm gun probably was used as small-caliber armanent on other ships as well, and I've even seen a few photographs of the 60mm naval gun mounted on land. Regards, Torrey

Hi Torrey,

Thanks so much for the info. I think it is indeed about 64mm tall so it would seem to be the culprit. I've run a search online for references to the 60mm / 6cm u-boat deck gun and only came across another example of this case described as such. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be articles or websites that deal with it.

There was a reference to a 6cm casemate gun and an anti torpedo boat gun on one of the searches I ran.

Best,

Simon