Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1903 enfield bayonet

Khaki

Just purchased on line a P1903 bayonet (British) pommel marked thus, 1.GG.51, am I correct in interpreting that as 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards, (rack) number 51 or is there something else?

Its won't arrive for about a week, but the condition is described as , as issued, appears to me as VG+ from a bunch of photos that were e-mailed to me. I will try and post a photo when it arrives.

khaki

khaki,

Nice purchase, pommel markings are always very interesting, especially from a British premier regiment such as the Grenadier Guards.

G.G. being their post 1881 regimental mark.

I look forward to seeing the photographs.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF,

I am looking forward to receiving the 1903, I understand that there are also other deleted markings, and I am hoping that they are still readable.

khaki

I think the R /number is the rifle number which would correspond with the number on the butt marker disc on a rifle.

As I understand it pre 1914, the armourer would fit the bayonet to the rifle ensuring a comfortable fit,as not all bayonets would fit every rifle snugly for want of a better word. best w, Howard

Hi,

I have also just obtained a 1903 marked to the Grenadier Guards. It is dated 12 '03, with '08, '09 and '10 reissue marks. The marking is 2GG 46, with quite big G's. In addition, the same side of the pommel has stamped sideways: 15RD 42.

I believe that this is 15th Regimental District. What is the significance of this mark?

Cheers,

Tony

Hello all,

1903 arrived today, dated 01/06 reissued 07, 08, 09 (EFD)

Regt, marked L.N.L (Loyal North Lancashire??) lined out, also 1 GG 51 (1st Batt., Grenadier Guards??) it has other numbers below LNL that are also lined out but are probably rack numbers. condition is VG +, good grips and no rust. Will try to get a photo when time permits.

regards

khaki

Hello LF,

Thanks for the link and the photo of the badge, I hope that I have interpreted the LNL correctly the first letter (L) has a small 'strike' horizontal almost at and on what would be the lower 'arm' of the (L), I cannot see a serif on the end and it is possible that it may be a battalion number eg 1.N.L but I could not think of a regiment abbreviated to N.L.

regards

khaki

Hello LF,

Thanks for the link and the photo of the badge, I hope that I have interpreted the LNL correctly the first letter (L) has a small 'strike' horizontal almost at and on what would be the lower 'arm' of the (L), I cannot see a serif on the end and it is possible that it may be a battalion number eg 1.N.L but I could not think of a regiment abbreviated to N.L.

regards

khaki

Khaki,

Without seeing the actual marks, it is hard to say, there was definitely a Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, however, I have still not as yet found a confirmation for ' LNL ' being their mark as it would appear on say, a bayonet pommel, I am still looking.

Regards,

LF

The standard abbreviation used for that regiment was simply N.L. however the first mark could well be the battalion number as you say. Nice find.

Cheers, S>S

khaki,

I knew I had seen a Loyal North Lancashire ( LNL ) marked pommel before, just could not remember exactly where, and here it is - 4th Loyal North Lancashire P1888 bayonet pommel - see P1888 Bayonet - this Forum Thread - May 18, 2013.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-60285100-1383177231_thumb.j

Well done LF excellent detective work! & S>S thanks for the 'tip' on the regimental abbreviations. Howard & Tony thank you for your contributions, interesting reading.

khaki

• 2 years later...

I knew I had seen a Loyal North Lancashire ( LNL ) marked pommel before, just could not remember exactly where, and here it is - 4th Loyal North Lancashire P1888 bayonet pommel ...

One more up and I'd be after that - my grandfather joined the 5 LNL 05 06 1915.. But ended up via the Herefordshire Regt. with the Tank Corps by 1918