Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wonder what happened to him?

Laird of Camster

Stumbled across this, wonder what happened to Pte Poole?

58961 PTE. W. POOLE, WELSH R.

Transmittal letter dated 25th August 1922 advising Mrs.M.Poole of the award of this single British War to Pte.Poole.

Pte. Walter Poole is not recorded on either CWGC or Soldiers Died in the Great War, so I don't know the date on which he died.

What is certain is that he died before the issue of his medal.

I don't know if Mrs.M.Poole was his mother or his wife.

A single BWM would suggest he served overseas somewhere? As he isn`t on the CWGC I`m assuming that he must have died at home? Anyone any idea which battalion of the Welsh Regiment he might have served in?

Curiosity got the better of me and I have attempted to answer my own question. I have found Poole’s MIC but it doesn’t really help as regards to which battalion of the Welsh Regiment he served in, but it does give me a first name of Walter. I have checked the 1911 census and come up with 3 Walter Pooles, with a connection to an M Poole; one is too old the other the name doesn’t fit the information known. So that leaves one, from Dartford in Kent, however, he doesn’t appear on the local war memorial. So one would assume that as there is no trace of him on soldiers died or CWGC, he didn’t die as a result of war service.

post-93093-0-04900300-1382347714_thumb.p

Edited by Laird of Camster

He could have been an older man, serving in India with the 1st Battalion between August and December 1914, but didn't go to France/Egypt with them in January 1915.

The following link gives numbers close to Walters that joined in 1898/1899

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/welsh-regiment-1st-and-2nd-battalions.html

A bit uncertain, but could be an answer?

BillyH.

Billy, that certainly is a possibility. I wonder whether perhaps he died of disease or something like that in India and is buried over there but not in a CWGC grave? Not sure whether that sort of thing happened or not. All I can confirm is that M Poole whoever that was claimed his medal in 1922.

Can`t seem to get your link to open?

If he was in India assume that he wouldn`t appear on the 1911 census?

Assuming he isn`t a casualty at all. That perhaps he may have believed (being an old soldier), that he didn`t really do anything in the Great War to merit a medal, so didn`t apply for it, but M Poole did on his behalf?

Gordon.

Sorry Gordon,

I realised that the link I had given was to a 4 digit number very similar to Walters 5 digit!

The first part of my post could be an answer though.

BillyH.

Sorry Gordon,

I realised that the link I had given was to a 4 digit number very similar to Walters 5 digit!

The first part of my post could be an answer though.

BillyH.

Billy have been thinking. I don`t believe troops garrisoned in India during the war qualified for a BWM. But I think I`m right in saying that if they got posted there during the war they did? So if Poole was garrisoned in India at the beginning of the war and remained there during the whole conflict then he would have received no metallic recognition? So it appears the mystery remains as to how a Welsh Regiment soldier could only be entitled to a BWM? Gordon.

Gordon,

I can see where you are coming from, but the National Archives website simply says (of the BWM) :

For service abroad (including India) 5 August 1914 - 11 November 1918, or 1919-1920 in Russia.

I think he would have got one even in the circumstances you describe, but i'm not an expert on the finer points of qualification. Perhaps you could post the query separately in the Medals section?

BillyH.

Laird of Camster has found Walter Poole in the 1901 census showing that he was born 1895 and lived at Dartford, Kent. I have searched BMD as every indication is that Walter died "at home". Bingo !! There is a Walter Poole whose death was registered in the fourth quarter 1916 in the Woolwich registration district. He was aged 23. At the time, Woolwich was classed as part London/part Kent. The death certificate may reveal more as to cause of death (wounds?) and, perhaps, family member who registered the death.

Laird of Camster has found Walter Poole in the 1901 census showing that he was born 1895 and lived at Dartford, Kent. I have searched BMD as every indication is that Walter died "at home". Bingo !! There is a Walter Poole whose death was registered in the fourth quarter 1916 in the Woolwich registration district. He was aged 23. At the time, Woolwich was classed as part London/part Kent. The death certificate may reveal more as to cause of death (wounds?) and, perhaps, family member who registered the death.

Jim, that’s smashing thanks ever so much for this information. But (isn’t there always a but), one must assume (correct me if I’m wrong), that if he died as a result of his war service he would have a CWGC grave? In order for him to qualify for a BWM he must have served abroad (or in the case of the Navy in coastal waters). If he’d died of wounds he must have also been awarded a Victory medal. So how has he qualified? Would the SWB list be somewhere I could check, I have no experience of the SWB listings. I have one theory with regards to his lack of a CWGC which I’d like to run past you all. I have come across soldiers who had no CWGC grave (two that I’m certain about), one was from London and his grave had been destroyed during the Blitz and the local council had put a plaque on the cemetery wall to honour him, thus the CWGC no longer had responsibility for him as it where hence no listing. Perhaps the same is true here?

Gordon,

I can see where you are coming from, but the National Archives website simply says (of the BWM) :

For service abroad (including India) 5 August 1914 - 11 November 1918, or 1919-1920 in Russia.

I think he would have got one even in the circumstances you describe, but i'm not an expert on the finer points of qualification. Perhaps you could post the query separately in the Medals section?

BillyH.

Billy I will certainly take your advice and start a new thread with regards to the BWM issue.

Why would a relatively early `casualty` in the war. Who appears to be from Southern England, have been in the Welsh Regiment?

Billy did you find your information on line? Would it be possible for you to post the link from BMD. I`m going to try and locate his death certificate, just in case his service papers don`t exist.

You will not in the picture below that there is no address for M Poole, which is also interesting, as I have other documents in my collection, whereby there is an address albeit handwritten not typed? Has anyone else come this?

post-93093-0-19866400-1382527133_thumb.j