Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

135 Heavy Bty & 2 Siege Bty RGA

tony paley

I am after some information from the usual sources concerning the above units. Yesterday my WFA Branch held a seminar. I found myself sitting next to an elderly chap (even older than me!) and I'm old. He spoke of his father and his service in heavy artillery at vimy ridge. when I told him that my Grandfather was also with the heavies on the Lorrette ridge he mentioned his father's iunits and his lack of information. Off the top of my head I gave him a little information but promised I would see if I could help in his quest. Poingnantly he said "you'd better be quick!"

My questions are 1. what groups was 135 Heavy Battery with from it's entry into France until November 1917?

2. The WO95 ref. for their diaries?

3. Briefly the same for 2 Siege Bty from December 1917 until the armistice.

In the meantime I will have a check with Farndale and some of my other books related to Heavy artillery. also my readers' ticket is still current for the NA. so a possible trip to Kew looks like it is in the offing. the gentleman's father apparently returned to the UK during 1917 and was commisioned, returning to 2 siege bty. as a lieutenant RGA. his name was Lt.E.Dayer. This is apparently all the information the chap had. Thanking the RGA experts in advance, too many to name!

Tony P

Hope this helps a little Tony, I'll let you do the NA WO search for the diaries as it's way down the list of things to do for me ;)

135th Heavy Bty RGA

Went out to WF May 1916. Made up to 6 Guns 1/8/16 - one section joining from 161st Heavy Bty.

39th HAG 1/6/16

48th HAG 5/8/16

46th HAG 29/8/16

47th HAG 13/9/16

46th HAG 17/9/16

8th HAG 20/3/17

73rd HAG 13/5/17

58th HAG 23/5/17

45th HAG 25/5/17

41st HAG 26/6/17

92nd HAG 5/7/17

29th HAG 8/8/17

4th HAG 4/9/17

63rd HAG 4/11/17

17th HAG 20/12/17 (Joined 28/12/17)

No subsequent change

2nd Siege Bty RGA

Went out to WF 17/9/14 armed with 4 x 6" Hows (30cwt) rearmed with 6" Hows (26cwt). Made up to 6 Hows 23/2/18 one section joining from 452nd SB

14th HAG 7/11/17

85th HAG 17/12/17

No subsequent change

Jay,

Many thanks, that's brilliant for starters it will make a very old man happy, and give a not so old man a worthy research cause. cheers.

tony P

tony P,

Although there is no doubt he enlisted with 135th Oxfordshire Heavy Battery is it possible to ask your acquaintance whether he has proof he actually served with that battery. I say that because there were many gunners, especially around this mans number, that were transferred to 168th Heavy Battery. This battery later went out and was split up to 2 other batteries. It would be silly to start researching the most obvious battery when he may have served with another. His number would indicate he turned up at Oxford around the 14th October 1915.

Kevin

Kevin,

You may have a point. Off the top of my head I did inform him that I thought it was a 'new army' battery raised in Oxford, he was surprised as he had forgotten that. However he did say that his father was at Vimy Ridge in april 1917. I have done a little research and from the information that jay has kindly posted above I cannot find either 8 or 73 Heavy Artillery Groups in that area at that time. Managed a couple of WO95 references though.

Tony P

tony P,

Although there is no doubt he enlisted with 135th Oxfordshire Heavy Battery is it possible to ask your acquaintance whether he has proof he actually served with that battery. I say that because there were many gunners, especially around this mans number, that were transferred to 168th Heavy Battery. This battery later went out and was split up to 2 other batteries. It would be silly to start researching the most obvious battery when he may have served with another. His number would indicate he turned up at Oxford around the 14th October 1915.

Kevin

Kevin,

He knows his father was in france for the battle of Arras in April 1917. 135 HB RGA. entered France in May 1916 whilst 168 HB RGA. not until August 1916 so still checking. Any idea what Group RGA 168 HB were in during the spring of 1917?

Tony P

Paul and Kevin,

Many thanks for that, it will probably answer one or two other questions re the RGA.

Tony P

• 3 years later...

Just come across a reference of my G/uncle being posted temporarily to 135 Heavy Battery in a letter he wrote on June 3rd 1918. He was posted from 248 seige Battery.

I wonder if anyone has reference from HB135's records to support this...just good to get a cross reference.