Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where would my Grandfather be ?

grahamwilkinson

My Grandfather, Pte George Henry Eyre served with the 26/27th Labour Company of the Labour Corps. I know that on the 14th of August 1918 he was admitted to hospital in Stoke upon Trent suffering from the affects of a gas attack! He remained there for 6 months!

Can anyone tell me whereabouts the 26/27th Labour Company, Labour Corps, would be at the time?

I know Labour Corps diaries are few and far between but i bet there's an expert in LC movements out there.

Thanks

Graham.

Welcome to the forum Graham.

Do you have his service number and/or medal card details? As much detail as you have will help greatly.

Did your Grandfather serve in any other units prior to the Labour Corps - this was often the case following wounds or sickness?

Post all the detail you have is your first step - you are right; there's a lot of knowledgeable on this forum.

Ant

Prior to the Labour Corps being formed my Grandfather served with the 12th Labour Battalion, S Staffs, as Pte 28681 George H Eyre. He was then transfered to the 26/27th Labour Company of the Labour Corps and became Pte 15092 George H Eyre. On enlistment he suffered from severe Asthma but was still taken!

Graham.

Graham,

his pension records are available on line if you didn't already know? Let me know - I could PM them across to you?

Ant

Graham,

The following at Kew might help:

DEPLOYMENT OF UNITS. Labour Corps, WO 95/5495

Not available online though, so would require a visit and a Reader's Ticket

Andrewr