Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What am I missing - 23-LOND.R. ?

Jim Strawbridge

The dreaded thingy-Bay auction site is offering a tatty victory medal without ring named to 699 A.W.O CL2 T R FISHER 23-LOND.R. Yet with 2 hours to go it has reached £130.78. I have a short 23-London Regimental history and he is not listed as a casualty. He does not come up as a casualty on CWGC or as a 1st Day of the Somme. The lowish service number does not merit this price yet at least two people are keen to get this medal. I can only think that two members of the family are after it. Any ideas?

A family medal or a reunite perhaps?

I can't see anything extra special about him either..... Thomas R Fisher, was a Territorial and awarded the medal plus the SWB so evidently also wounded.????.

Has service papers. Pre war TF. Re-enlisted after time expired in France. Shell shock case 4 July 1917. Acting CSM 1/23 Londons.

Jim et al,

Three digit number + rank + re-enlistment + D Company in 1915 + 3x wounded + surviving papers = two regimental collectors who really wanted it.

He was gassed at Loos (possibly 1st gas casualty of the war for 1/23rd along with 5 others but I'll have to do more research), buried in a dugout which resulted in shell shock 4th Jul 1917, but continued to serve through the rest of 1917 until shell shock seems to have returned in May 1918.

Matthew

Interesting... thanks..... I must admit that I have an MM + Trio to a Sgt in the 23rd London Regt.

Pm me the details if you like and I'll see what I have on him.

Or of course if you're ever looking to move it on .......

Matthew