Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Illustrated

Broznitsky

I found a 16th January 1915 "The War Illustrated", edited by J.A. Hammerton. It is a stapled newspaper-type publication. Can anybody tell me more about this "magazine", and if it has any value, other than for interest?

The articles are mostly of the "fiendish Hun" variety, and the adverts are mostly for smokes! The photos and drawings are quite nice.

Broznitsky,

These excellent magazines were printed weekly from August 1914 right through until early 1919. Like the issue you have they are all very patriotic and smash the hateful hun in their approach. However some of the pictures are excellent and I particularly like ones like the drawing of British troops fighting off an attacking hippo that "took sides with the hun" in German East Africa during a river crossing!

They are not particularly valueable although the 9 volume sets now change hands for over £100 on ebay. By coincidence I put some up for sale on ebay and speedbid yesterday as I'm having a bit of a clearout and also have the complete set of volumes which I am keeping. If anyone wants some copies from £1:50 each please contact me.

I have a heap of 'THE WAR PICTORIAL' November 1916 to December 1917 which were published by the London Illustrated News. These, too, have excellent photographs of a whole range of subjects but the annoying thing is that so few are identified by name or location. No doubt at some stage, somehwere, they have all been sifted through by experts and must be catalogued.

Here is a list of identifiable/interesting subjects that I would happily copy to anyone with an interest:

THE WAR PICTORIAL

November 1916

Lt BRANDON DSO

Lt W.L. ROBINSON VC

Lt SOWERY DSO

Lt W.JTEMPEST DSO

January 1917

Flt Lt CADBURY DSC

Flt Sub-Lt PULLING DSO

Hospital Ship BRITANNIC

The ARABIA

Hospital Ship BRAEMAR CASTLE

April 1917

A motor machine-gun battery leaving camp

US Battleship ‘Delaware’

US Battleship ‘Arkansas’

US Submarine ‘E1’

August 1917

The victor of Messines Ridge: General Plumer with group of British Officers

September 1917

British patrol vessels coming to the rescue of the ‘Dover Castle’ hospital ship

October 1917

Tugs towing a hospital barge

Interior of hospital barge

Types of casualty transport: four-man stretcher trolley, wheeled stretcher, wounded on light railway, ambulances

November 1917

Italian motor boat unit at sea – submarine chasers at high speed

December 1917

Captain Laureati after his 656 mile non-stop flight Turin to London

The British Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps in France

Chris Basey