Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Royal Scots Fusiliers Service Number Experts out there?

Timbob1001

Hi all

Perhaps an obscure question..

Am trying to pin down when an individual soldier transfereed/was drafted from the Devonshire Regiment to the 1/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers.

The chap in question is: 32183/241687 Private George Victor Dally, Devonshire Regiment and 1/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers

Any suggestions/brickbats appreciated...

Tim

Tim, I can't help with any specific date but the 6 digit TF number suggest that this transfer was post December 23rd 1916 when ACI 2414 (new series of TF infantry numbers) was implemented, in general most TF battalions had transferred to the new series by March 1917.

Jon

By tracing service and SWB records then cross checking them against mic cards (somewhere like ancestry for example) you can find soldiers with similar RSF numbers. You are looking for soldiers who first joined the RSF and have numbers bracketing your man - you can use their joining date to narrow down an aproximate date of transfer.

Please bear in mind this is a very inexact science as a whole block of number could have been used for transfers, diferant blocks allocated for differant recruitment areas etc etc.

Good luck

• 6 months later...

Hi Tim

I am affraid I cannot help you, but hopefully you can help me. I am doing the Dally family tree and 32183/241687 Private George Victor Dally, Devonshire Regiment and 1/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers is on my tree. I am tring to find out more about his family, wife, siblings and parents.

Thanks Karen

His entry on the Scottish National War Memorial shows him as born Axbridge, Somerset.

FreeBMD has George Victor DALLEY born March Quarter 1881 Axbridge

and George Victor DALLY married December Q 1910 Axbridge (3 possible brides)

Ken

Thanks Ken

I do not know if this is of any help, found out George V. Dally enlisted at Taunton possible for the Royal Scots Fusiliers. and also this

Burial:
Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery
Haucourt
Departement du Pas-de-Calais
Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
Plot: Final resting place unknown. Name listed on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial, Panel 6.

Created by:
CWGC/ABMC
Record added: Aug 08, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 56665862

I am trying to find Ernest John Dally who emigrated to Canada and fought in the war with the Canadians. have not other info except he was the brother

of George Victor Dally.

The Militia unit refered to (9th M.H.) was:

It was originally formed as the Toronto Mounted Rifles at Toronto, Ontario on April 1, 1901, by combining J and K Squadrons of the Canadian Mounted Rifles with three newly raised companies.[1] In 1903 the regiment was renamed to the 9th Toronto Light Horse and in 1907 it was renamed to the 9th Mississauga Horse.[2] This was a reference to the First Nation that inhabited the area before the Europeans, the Mississaugas.