Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1915 star

Muerrisch

Help. I am out my depth, morally and practically.

The story so far. I have a 77 year old friend who has just discovered his father qualified for 1915 star, confirmed by MiC. He only has BWM and WM. Whereas I had a 1915 star in my spares box, picked up as a singleton for peanuts. I have given it to him.

Firstly, what are the ethics of re-inscribing, and ...............

Secondly, is it even feasible?

My friend is not a poor man, if it could be done, he could afford it.

Come on you medal buffs, please give me moral and practical advice [after all, its usually me that is dishing it out!].

You mean you want to destroy / erase the name thereon. I would never do that.

Why not not buy a modern copy and have it named accordingly.

The one you bought for peanuts someone might be searching for.

I would never erase a medal. Contact some dealers and ask around for an erased star. I have a few with groups. At the very least mount the named star with the group until a good substitute can be found?

Hope that helps

David

i agree you shouldn't do it. suppose there is someone out there who is looking for this medal maybe a relative of the person who is named on the medal,and you have erased it.

it will be gone forever and they will never find it.

please don't do it.

regards

andy 1

I will join in as well. There seem to be lots of erased stars floating around anyway. That would be by far the best approach. Track down one of those and if he wishes, he can get it inscribed, hopefully not as a copy of the original naming, but in such a way that will be meaningful to him.

I'll add my two bob's worth as well.

NEVER get a named medal (of any sort) and re-name it. It's like killing the memory of a man (or woman) who has already almost faded into oblivion.

I would strongly suggest you try EBay (they're often popping up there) or a reputable dealer. If the dealer hasn't got one in stock, ask them to keep an eye out... they can be very helpful in this sort of situation.

Les.

Have to agree with all of the replies so far, there are unamed 1914-15 stars out there or a copy. Please do not erase a medal.

Andy

Langley,

I've got your book on trade and qualification badges. It's a treasure to me. I hold it in awe as a piece of research. Has an honoured place in my library. But were you even to consider scrubbing a medal - in the shredder!!!

Emotion cooling, somewhat... a pal, medal collector, got married in No1 dress in the early 90s. His ACTUAL medals were in an AMFO box somewhere between Kuwait and Ringwood.. so a friendly dealer courtmounted 'an' NI CSM (real) and three UN medals (real, from stock). Wore them to wedding. Broke the group next day...

Quick Oxygen... Oxygen!! :blink:

:) However Liverpool Medals often have Scrubbed & defective Medals

Guest Ian Bowbrick

David,

As you once pointed out to someone on this forum, there is no such thing as a 1915 star - there is a 1914 or 1914/15 Star. ;)

There are dozens of erased or replica stars on the market - they will cost you less than having a medal erased.

If you hazve one erased you might be the first 'Pal' executed.

Ian :)

David,

As you once pointed out to someone on this forum, there is no such thing as a 1915 star - there is a 1914 or 1914/15 Star.

Or to usurp the Pedantist Crown; even the:~

1914~1915 Star!!!! :blink:

You are all wrong!

AO 20 of 1919 introduced the award and called it, EXACTLY:

1914-15 Star.

Don't forget, I do the pedantry bit round here. 67 years of it.

Ian, I live in the sticks: can you point me to a dealer please and suggest a price? I would prefer a phone number to ring. Thank you.

I`m a keen freelance pedant too, LB! Gordon calls it a 1914-1915 star in his Battles and Medals book, but I think the fact that the medal has 1914-15 across it is the clincher! Phil B

post-23-1096197772.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick
You are all wrong!

AO 20 of 1919 introduced the award and called it, EXACTLY:

1914-15 Star.

Don't forget, I do the pedantry bit round here. 67 years of it.

Ian, I live in the sticks: can you point me to a dealer please and suggest a price? I would prefer a phone number to ring. Thank you.

I have one erased 1914/15 Star and one modern 1914/15 Star on my current list, each at £5, but this is not what you are looking for, so I can't help you.