Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Museum of Liverpool-Workshops

kathleen donaldson

These men are from the 5th Kings as can be seen from the shoulder titles being worn on the collar, it would be interesting to know if they were all pre war territorials.

P.B.

post-63-0-55194500-1382006787_thumb.jpg

Thank you for posting. I was asking today at the Liverpool Archives if they had any documentation for the Black Community and Ethnic minorities for WW1 and they drew a blank. It would be nice to collect any articles for these workshops. If you can come along to one I'm sure the Curator will be pleased.

Thanks Kathy,

I do know Karen but the workshops are a little too far from where I live now.

Peter

Has Karen got a copy of that picture? Also, could be wrong, but are these soldiers who have been wounded and are perhaps at a Convalescent home? It would be lovely to see what is out there regarding Soldiers from the Black Community. I'll continue to do a bit of snooping on this. I do have a newspaper report of a Black soldier serving but he was not from our area.

This article may be of interest;

Tuesday 29 June 1915– Liverpool Echo

BLACK SOLDIERS. PROTECTION FROM INSULT IN LIVERPOOL STREETS

The stipendiary magistrate made it clear today that black men in Liverpool must not be insulted whilst they are wearing the King's uniform. He administered a scathing rebuke to a man who had indulged in a practice which of late has become far too common in this city. The accused was Robert Starkey, a well-dressed man, who was charged with having been drunk and disorderly in St. Anne Street, and with assaulting Frank Nelson, a black soldier in the King's Liverpool Regiment. It is an intolerable thing, said his worship. Here are these coloured men putting on the King's uniform—which is more than some white men will do. A drunken blackguard like you comes along and insults them. The magistrate added that he noticed the prisoner was of military age. Asked what his business was, Starkey said he was a ship’s waiter. Well, continued his worship, this one of the most disgraceful episodes that has come under my notice since the war began. You will go to prison for fourteen days, with hard labour on the first charge, and for twenty eight on the second charge. Prisoner. —Any chance of a fine, sir? The Magistrate.—No.

Sadly, Starkey seems to have successfully appealed the next day, and paid a fine of 5 shillings.