Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sharp brothers

lilun

Hi all,

I'm new so please bear with me...

I'm trying to find any further details regarding the Sharp brothers. Frank Sharp was my Grandfather and his brother William Sharp Grandfather to my 2nd cousin.

Frank Sharp - b 26 Apr 1899 - Tintwistle, Cheshire

Absent Voters List - 1918 - 18 Ronald Road, Saltley Ward Birmingham - M/351230 Pte. M.T. A.S.C

1919 - 18 Ronald Road, Saltley Ward Birmingham - M/351230 Pte. 4 AUX M.T. A.S.C

Medals Card - Victory: RASC/101B 244 25133

British: RASC/101B 244 25133

post-102834-0-31316500-1381999169_thumb.

William Sharp - b 17 Dec 1893 - Tintwistle, Cheshire

1911 Census - Cotton Weaver

1918 - married in Prestwich, Lancashire to Agnes Rowe

Marriage Certificate states he was a Corporal in the ASC, possibly invalided out due to a left shoulder injury.

post-102834-0-44754500-1381999214_thumb.

I don't fully understand all the details listed here, but have read up about some of them. I know most of the service records were destroyed so chances are there isn't much information to be added but any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

lilun

It would help if you said which bits you don't undertand

The Army Service corps ( ASC) became the Royal Army Service Corps at the end of the war (RASC). Sometimes known as "The Jam Stealers". If you click on the Long Long Trail at the top of the forum you can find out what the ASC did. Frank was awarded the standard campaign medals every soldier who had been in a theatre of war was entitled to and one would expect William also to have an MIC. unless he was never in a theatre of war and his shoulder injury was due to an accident in Britain - even then he would have been entitled to a Silver War Badge and should have a card for this.

William SHARP service number M/ 286790 RASC ENLISTED 1 2 1917 DISCHARGED 22 3 1918 due to sickness paragraph 392 XVI Kings Regulations Silver War Badge number B/232673 Never served overseas. Ralph.

Thank you both for your replies.

Centurion - I didn't understand the medals details so thank you for clarifying these. I have read the Long Long Trail about the ASC prior to posting, it made interesting reading.

Ralph - Thank you for the service record, I'll look into it further

Again thank you for your replies.

Hi Gary

I've looked on Ancestry but am unable to find the service history you mention. Could you give me more details please.

Deb

Hi

Not sure if it is your man ?

William Sharp M/286790 has N.O.K as Lilian Julia/address in Dartford.

If you search service records for William Sharp & Army Service Corps,5th lad down is the lad M/286790,address 3 Bouvrie Mews Folkestone ?

Gary

Hi

Unfortunately it isn't. N.O.K is wrong as he wasn't married until 1918. I've cross checked the previous details given by Ralph and obviously they are one and the same.

Thanks for your help and replying

Deb

Deb. Having cross referenced the card and the record these are one and the same but not your man, my mistake. Ralph.

edit; just read your post.