Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Original or fake 17th lancer badge?

Tweed

I cannot see the obverse never mind the reverse.

I think he went off in a huff after a posting about a tunic

Roger

More like a minute and a huff (thanks, Groucho). He was a very emotional chap.

The blank page is a perfect illustration of a 17th L cap badge when you think about it, for there is no such thing.

What normal people would call a cap badge is called "The Motto" by the regiment.

Mr Drill, I did ponder mentioning that myself, but the Original Poster was such a sensitive soul I feared he might be upset. On balance, I shouldn't really have worried, should I?

The blank page is a perfect illustration of a 17th L cap badge when you think about it, for there is no such thing.

What normal people would call a cap badge is called "The Motto" by the regiment.

Are you suggesting 'Lancers" are not normal people?

khaki :hypocrite:

He frequently does.

Here is my example, though obviously the thread starter is no longer interested.

post-91897-0-70803700-1382174525_thumb.j

And the reverse of the Motto. Notice the removed upper lug, the repair to the end of one of the long bones and the S. Sil mark.

post-91897-0-82447600-1382174613_thumb.j

As the OP did, albeit fleetingly, actually post a picture of the rear of the badge, I'd say, Based on limited knowledge, it was as genuine as the WW2 Green Howards jacket he posted.

As the OP did, albeit fleetingly, actually post a picture of the rear of the badge, I'd say, Based on limited knowledge, it was as genuine as the WW2 Green Howards jacket he posted.

Sadly I never saw the pictures of the Motto or the GH jacket, probably no loss though from the sound of it.

IMHO the casting seam across the top of the skull on the OP's picture was a bit of a giveaway about it's provenence..

IMHO the casting seam across the top of the skull on the OP's picture was a bit of a giveaway about it's provenence..

Indeed, that would make it the copy/fake of the Firmin Motto.

I sense that Broomers has fallen out with me, for reasons I know not. It may have been an attempt to be 'funny' which were misinterpreted many months hence, which puzzle me and cause me much regret. Especially as we would very much (my other half and I) wish him over for hospitality not far from his home base.

However. In this specific case I appreciate his comments on the 'motto' shown here, and agree fully.

I sense that Broomers has fallen out with me, for reasons I know not.

Me? Fall out with someone? Certainly not. You're still a chum. Perish the thought I'd fall out with anyone. Good Lord. The very thought. Enough to make me fall out with you.

Not yet advertised, but the next London Pals get-together, probably on Wednesday 30th, would offer an ideal opportunity to dispel misapprehensions over a pint or twain ...