Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY...D BATTERY..312TH BRIGADE

robbie knight

MY GREAT UNCLE..EARNEST JAMES KNIGHT..ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY..SERGEANT 786357..DIED 26TH MAY 1917..

ARE THERE ANY OTHER MEMBERS ON THE FORUM WHO HAS FAMILY MEMBERS WHO WERE IN D BATTERY 312 BRIGADE?

ARE THERE ANY DATES FROM... JOINING UP AT NEWPORT ..TRAINING...AND GOING TO FRANCE.

MANY THANKS

ROBBIE

Robbie,

I'm afraid Earnest is a difficult one to research. He came from Portsmouth, enlisted in Newport, Monmouthshire and ended up in a 2nd Line West Riding Brigade. "D" Battery of 312th Brigade became a 6 gun Howitzer battery, but was originally part of 313th (Howitzer) Brigade. It is difficult to judge where and when he joined the West Riding Brigade but it must have been prior to the six figure renumbering and them going overseas in January 1917. The 4 West Riding Brigades (310 - 313) were in Somerleyton, Flixton Park, Darsham & Bungay during the Summer of 1916.

You could be looking at a transfer from regular to territorial as Arthur Smart 786355 used to be 125713 and Samuel Roberts 786356 used to be 115967

War Services 62nd West Riding Divisional Artillery, pages 16 - 17 states:

"On the 26th May a sad disaster occurred in D/312 Howitzer Battery. The camouflage over one of the howitzers caught fire and blazed up. It was merely a question of a few moments when the flames should reach the ammunition and cause a terrible explosion, but there was a slight chance of the fire being put out in time, and Capt. H B Gallimore, who was temporarily commanding the battery, with Lieut. G. Hardy and a party of N.C.O.s and men, made a gallant attempt to extinguish the flames. Unfortunately their efforts were in vain, and there was a tremendous explosion. Poor Gallimore was killed, and also ten others (including all six "Numbers One" of the battery), while Hardy was dangerously wounded, and also five gunner more or less severely. The loss of two such officers and six of the most valuable N.C.O.s was a very serious blow to D/312, but the splendid act of devotion, in which they sacrificed their brave young lives, conferred a lustre not only on their own battery, but on the whole of the Divisional Artillery, and will not soon be forgotten. Hardy, unhappily, died of his wounds on the 28th."

I think that it is almost a certainty that Sjt. Knight was one of those killed that day.

Dick Flory

• 2 months later...
Guest Doug Utting

Can anyone help with providing information on the involvement of 310 brigade RFA between april - may 1917. I am aware of the action around Bullecourt at this time. My ancestor - Fitter Cpl Frank CLARK (775205) was awarded the MM for actions 6-22 april 22/4/17 but then died of wounds 11/5/17 and is buried at Achiet Le Grand. I intend to vista the NA to check the War Diary - but someone may already have info about the specifics of this time. For example I am trying to identify the battery he was in and understand what his role was and what artillery piece may have been in use. Thanks Doug

Doug

As this relates to a different Brigade, can I suggest you start a new topic otherwise it might be overlooked.

Roger

• 8 months later...
Guest philiptodd666@hotmail.com

My Great Uncle, Acting Bombadier Frank Hardaker (786024) also of D Battery, 312th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery was one of the casualties on May 26th 1917. He is buried at Ecoust-St. Mein probably along side his comrades from the battery.

He is also remembered in his home village at the cenotaph at Greengates, Idel now a part of Bradford.

I would like to visit my family war graves (5) this year to pay my respects if at all possible.

Phil Todd

As a serving officer on a gun line now, I can well imagine this incident and how completely it would gut a battery. Terrible. I shall certainly make a pilgrimage to the HAC Cemetery next time I am in France.

• 2 months later...

HI ALL

IHAVE SOME NEW INFORMATION ABOUT THIS TRAGIC DAY, MAYBE SOME OF THE OTHER MEMBERS CAN VERIFY WHO WAS KILLED ON THIS DAY 26TH MAY 1917

CAPTAIN.. H GALLIMOR

SERJEANT E J H KNIGHT 786357

J BOYD...44865

F HARDAKER..786024 [ ACTING BOMBARDIER]

SERJEANT J H JENKINS..687422

CORPORAL B PEPPER..786074

H STOTT..786096

N VAUGHAN..837250

MY INFO I HAVE A B C AND D BATTERYS THERE SERVICE NUMBERS MOSTLY BEGIN WITH 786, WAS THESE NUMBERS JUST CONNECTED R F A...

ALL OF THE ABOVE MEN DIED TOGETHER .AND ARE BURIED TOGETHER..

H A C CEMERETY

PLOTS

J BOYD 111-B-26

F HARDNAKER 111-B-19

JH JENKINS 111-D-23

E JH KNIGHT 111-D-21

B PEPPER 111-B-29

H STOTT 111-B-27

N VAUGHAN 111-B-28

• 5 months later...

HI ALL

I AM OFF TO THIEPVAL AND ECOUST-SAINT-MEIN TOMORROW, A SPUR OF THE MOMENT THING, WILL BE TAKEN SOME PHOTOS ON THE WAY, AND WILL POST.

AND TO TOP IT ALL IM GOING WITH A RELATION OF CAPTAIN ROBERT CAMPBELL, I WILL BE LAYING MY FLOWERS, AND THINKING OF THEM ALL.

D BATTERY 312 BRIGADE R F A ALL DIED ON THE 26 MAY 1917, THEY ALL DIED TOGETHER AND ARE BURIED TOGETHER. R I P

Robbie

Well done ! Nice clear photos.

Hi Robbie

I have a set of medals from Driver Willie Ellis 786012 who also served in 'D' Battery 312th Brigade he won the Military Medal on 6th April 1917 along with Gunner E Leaf 786049

Colin

HI COLIN

MEDALS ARE CHERRISHED ITEMS TO HAVE, I ONLY WISH I COULD FIND MY GREAT UNCLES, SO MANY ARE SOLD. FOR A FEW POUND, AND THE MAN WHO EARNED THEM GAVE SO MUCH.

ROBBIE

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Robbie

Driver Willie Ellis and his Medals ~ just for interest

Colin

great photos colin..

HI ALL

IN ONE OF MY PHOTOS ABOVE,,,, J KEMPLAY 44842 ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY DIED ON THE 26 MAY 1917. CAN ANYONE COMFIRM IF HE WAS PART OF "D" BATTERY 312 BRIGADE.

MANY THANKS

Robbie

Yes he was D/312. Grave no.III B 30.