Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn. Dorsetshire Regiment, Early KIA, 26 Aug. 1914

WittWorldWide

I have a very nice '14 Star Trio to the following, and need a bit of help digging deeper into the research.

I already have MIC & CWGC Data from Ancestry & Web, but looking for some more specific information, as follows...

F.J.S. (Frederick John Stanley) Wills Rank: Private Service No: 7398 Date of Death: 26/08/1914 Regiment/Service: Dorsetshire Regiment 1st Bn. Grave Reference I. A. 12. Cemetery HAUTRAGE MILITARY CEMETERY

1) Was he Captured, POW and Died, or Killed in Action?

2) When and where exactly was the unit prior to his death, 16 Aug.-26 Aug., and essentially what action caused his death... As they were only in Theater for 10 days at that point, What can the Unit Diary give me?

3) Birthdate, and Any Prior Service and Enlistment Date? (Could not find a Service Record on Ancestry...)

Thank You for any help in advance... Best Regards, Rich

Soldiers Died in the Great War (also on ancestry) states that he was 'born Sutton, Surrey; enlisted London; and lived at Sutton Surrey. Killed in action, F & F (Franced and Flanders) 26/8/14, or about'. So the exact date of his death was assumed to be 26/8/14.

Some family history for Frederick John Stanley WILLS:-

Birth registration 1886 July-Aug-Sept quarter in the Epsom, Surrey District.

Christened on 15 August 1886 as Frederick John Stanley WILLS at Sutton, near Croydon, Surrey. He was the son of William Mayo WILLS and Annie Sabrina WILLS.

In the 1901 census Frederick WILLS aged 14 was living with his parents at 1, Loraine Villas, Benhill Road, Sutton, Surrey. He was employed as a grocer's errand boy.

In 1909 Oct-Nov-Dec quarter he married Ada Eliza Kirby. Marriage registered in the Epsom, Surrey District; and his name was recorded as Frederic John S. WILLS

1911 census - 1, Loraine Villas, Benhill Road, Sutton, Surrey.

William WILLS, head of household, 64, widower, carter in coal merchants, born Bury St. Edmunds

Frederick WILLS son, 25, married, coal porter in coal merchants, born Sutton, Surrey

Ada WILLS, wife, 26, married 2 years no children, born Beccles, Suffolk

Doris KIRBY, sister, 18, single, born Beccles, Suffolk

Some family history for Frederick John Stanley WILLS:-

Birth registration 1886 July-Aug-Sept quarter in the Epsom, Surrey District.

Christened on 15 August 1886 as Frederick John Stanley WILLS at Sutton, near Croydon, Surrey. He was the son of William Mayo WILLS and Annie Sabrina WILLS.

In the 1901 census Frederick WILLS aged 14 was living with his parents at 1, Loraine Villas, Benhill Road, Sutton, Surrey. He was employed as a grocer's errand boy.

In 1909 Oct-Nov-Dec quarter he married Ada Eliza Kirby. Marriage registered in the Epsom, Surrey District; and his name was recorded as Frederic John S. WILLS

1911 census - 1, Loraine Villas, Benhill Road, Sutton, Surrey.

William WILLS, head of household, 64, widower, carter in coal merchants, born Bury St. Edmunds

Frederick WILLS son, 25, married, coal porter in coal merchants, born Sutton, Surrey

Ada WILLS, wife, 26, married 2 years no children, born Beccles, Suffolk

Doris KIRBY, sister, 18, single, born Beccles, Suffolk

Thank you for that detail... Rich

Morning Rich

SDGW

attachicon.gifImage1.jpg

War Diary

attachicon.gifaug 1914.pdf

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you for the Diary Clip... I had found the Soldiers Died info., and a good resource.

Rich

As best I can tell from War Diary, he was Killed in Action outright on the 26th, and does not appear this Bn. had losses due to Capture/POW at this point in time...?? There was also some notation of his death, in another clip of the War Diary, posted in another location on the forum. (The comment "or about" made me question actual date of wound...) This looks to have been added to Diary Entries from Solders Died info.

Is there any chance of finding the Enlistment Papers/Service Record elsewhere, or the fact he was killed so early on preclude the Service Record being completed, or more likely burned in 1940 fire?

Were the Enlistment Papers stored Separately from the Service Files, or essentially one and the same? (I found it somewhat interesting that about the same percentage was lost due to fire as in the U.S. Army WW1 Service Records, Approx. 80% burned... Brit. in 1940 Fire, U.S. in 1973 Fire.)

Thank you again to all that have responded, Rich

WillsFJSMICxx.jpg

On the MIC: Is the Notation Below 14 Star Entry for Clasp/Bar? "CC?/2/2685." or something else... I see no other mention of Clasp & Roses, which I have seen on other MICs....

Thanks, RW